Timken bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timken bearings?

So, I got my d44 straight front, and my 9in rear, and I'm looking to order master rebuild kits from Bronco Graveyard. Their top kits include Timken bearings.

Are Timken bearings worth it? Are they actually any better than anything else?

Is there anything else you guys would recommend over JBG / Timken rebuild kits? I'm looking to order in the next week or so.

And while I don't know what I'm doing, I've got an experienced friend who's gonna teach me how to do the rebuilds properly.

Just looking for some input on what to get.
    89 FSB XLT 5.8 C6 "Bill"

Re: Timken bearings?

Given the choice, I'd spend the extra money on Timken bearings vs. the generic auto parts store bearings like what you find at Auto Zone. The reason for that is because years ago I needed to rebuild the spindles/hubs on my front end. The bearings that I first bought from Auto Zone were obviously lesser quality - the "cages" did not contain the rollers as tightly as the Timken bearings I was replacing. While some would say "just pack them with grease and run them", to me they seemed to be really poorly built.
    Individual results may vary, but that's my experience.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

You get what you pay for... Do you want to take a chance with a lesser brand (cheaper) than a name brand?

Key components that fail on the trail are a major pain to repair... And a lifetime guarantee means nothing
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Timken. The money you think you save is trivial when faced having to do the job again...especially after you powder a bearing.
        Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Well, I'm a believer in "you get what you pay for", so I think it's settled.

I'll be ordering the timken kits.

Thanks guys!
          89 FSB XLT 5.8 C6 "Bill"

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_bucko View Post
            Well, I'm a believer in "you get what you pay for", so I think it's settled.

I'll be ordering the timken kits.

Thanks guys!
            Believe it or not...Master-pro brand from O'reilly Auto is often Timken inside.

I've had really good luck buying carrier bearings from the store...and verifying the Timken hardware inside. Prices are amazing. Problem is that you can't be 100% sure until you open the box.

But if you have lots of time, you can save $. (sometimes you get what you pay for...Other times, you just pay.)

Good luck,
            James.

Comment

Koyo's are also a great bearing, they are Japanese made, not CHINA.
              Mark Harris
              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Buy at rockauto.com

They carry a lot of brands including Timkin.
                “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Working...
                X