FW d44 axle options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FW d44 axle options

So the FW front - 77 F150 - is going back together. Now that everything else is all cleaned up, the old axles look pretty crappy. Joints don't feel sloppy but certainly not smooth.

Cheapest option from WH is the cromo with 760 joint . not much of an upgrade as far as the joint; can't go all the way to RCV due to $$.

Actually, how would you go about evaluating the health of a stock set of front axles? The stock joints don't appear to be servicable.

Will be running 5.13 R&P, NP435 and 37 inch tires, so there will be a lot of torque, but I'm not a wheel spinner either.

Want to get this right while it is all apart. Thoughts?

Re: FW d44 axle options

Over a stock Bronco d44 u joint the 760 is a pretty big upgrade.
    Jack
    73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

I've put some pretty good abuse on alloy axles with 760's, and full circle snap rings. That being said, I have now upgraded to rcv's.
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Did the F150 have 260s (stock Bronco D44) or 297s (760)? Do the stock shafts have the neck down by the splines?

Comment

Originally posted by gddyap View Post
          Did the F150 have 260s (stock Bronco D44) or 297s (760)? Do the stock shafts have the neck down by the splines?
          If all my original research is correct, I found a unicorn - the 1977 disk brake / welded wedge HP D44. The joints should be 5-760x.

Pics of spline ends attached. Weird part is I can't find any sign of a snap ring inside the u-joint - it is like a sealed bearing, the inner part where the ring should be is a continuous surface like a rear axle seal.
          Attached Files

Comment

The joints are stronger then the axle on my cromo's so are the warn hubs I broke a outer a Couple weeks back and it dident even get bound up it just snapped clean about 8" in from the end. The tire spun really slow I could see the tire try to grip a rock and when it did....BOOM! This is in double low at idle. So if you are spending the money go Dana 60 or RCV. I have never broken a front axle in my thirty years of wheeling because I try to take it easy so I never listened to all the people saying to just go with 60 but now I wish I did.

Comment

The Wild Horses Cromo axles are a fantastic deal!
              WIth a Spicer 760 u joint and full circle clips, you will have them for a VERY long time.
              Mark Harris
              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I beat on alloy USA too for many years, 1outer broke and was warranted at no cost by Summit
                68 Slightly modified
                67 LUBR once again
                61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Thanks guys. I picked up a cromo/760 set from WH today. Upgrade plus I am really feeling the need to have my own spares after not seeing another EB all summer on the trail.

Comment

I just bring my take outs.

Comment

Working...
                    X