Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to stop. Brake info needed. Hydro boost desired.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to stop. Brake info needed. Hydro boost desired.

Fired the bronco and it runs excellent after another long hybernation. But the brakes are shot. I'm pretty sure its the master cylinder giving bypass. What i have now is a bronco vacuum booster and 4 wheel disk brakes. Fronts are Chevy and rears are explorer disks. I have a 351w. and will be installing a Ford 5.8 EFI motor in the future. I also have a 2 inch body lift. I'd like hydroboost, with a new MC, all looking awesome under the hood. I looked at the WH kit, but not quite ready to spend that much money, but love the installation look! Care to give me some guidance/instruction? Rather buy parts than dig through junk yards at this point. Thanks

Re: I want to stop. Brake info needed. Hydro boost desired.

Classicbroncos has several to many threads on the topic. MY friend Dave used a GM H-B for his Scout 80 build and found that a D44 wheel bearing nut threads onto the H-B unit in place of its normal nut.
    Cross-threaded is tighter than lock-tite

Comment

I have done 3 of them now. You should be able to do it under 300 bucks with parts from the parts store and under 200 from the JY.

Comment

I did HB with a junkyard Astrovan unit on my Bronco. Worked great until I put ram assist on my Bronco, then the steering would lock up if you were on the brakes. I was told that with a WH system or Vanco kit that didn't happen because they were ported for higher flow. Now I have vacuum brakes and they work great but I also have huge rotors.
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

http://www.justih.org/Binder-Bench/s...3037#post13037 This is the one I followed when I did my Scout. Worked great.

Comment

I went to hydroboost & think its the best thing I ever did. I used a brand new vette master from the parts store & an astro van hydroboost i bought off classic. Im not running a body lift so when I built my mount plate & moved it all up 3/4" & over 3/4" so it wont hit the factory style 5.8 upper when I put that in. measuring & having hoses made is no biggie.

Comment

I second the Astro Van Hydroboost, 94-95 are the good years, 96 > 2001 have an angled down bracket. You can use the 76>77 Bronco vac assist bracket with it and then buy the replacement bell crank from the guy on EBay. I used the Astro van MC as well... I had the hoses made locally. You can buy the AN to Metric adapters from WH or Summit and there are ways to reuse the factory hoses as well. Night and day stopping differences. Many thorough write ups on Classic Broncos...
              Last edited by 904Bronco; 11-05-2016, 01:12 PM.
              2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
              1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
              2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Hey Cheesenip, lets go get the parts together. I want to convert the 79 to hydroboost. I used the Astro van unit on my 68 and I put one in Randy's bronco too.

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                  I second the Astro Van Hydroboost, 94-95 are the good years, 96 > 2001 have an angled down bracket. You can use the 76>77 Bronco vac assist bracket with it and then buy the replacement bell crank from the guy on EBay. I used the Astro van MC as well... I had the hoses made locally. You can buy the AN to Metric adapters from WH or Summit and there are ways to reuse the factory hoses as well. Night and day stopping differences. Many thorough write ups on Classic Broncos...

Hey Doug, what size/thread are the fittings on the Astro Van hydroboost unit?

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                    Hey Doug, what size/thread are the fittings on the Astro Van hydroboost unit?
                    I have the part #s for Mustang H/P to AN from Summit if wanted / needed
                    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                      Hey Cheesenip, lets go get the parts together. I want to convert the 79 to hydroboost. I used the Astro van unit on my 68 and I put one in Randy's bronco too.
                      So it looks like you're in the middle of doing the swap.

This is one project that i need to get done soon.

Any chance you could share/write up what you're doing?
                      {o===o}
                      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                      Originally posted by CityHick
                      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I was out at the pick and pull on Jensen and the 99 about a month ago. They had 6 or 7 astro's with the hb units still on them. I grabbed one with the Mc for $25. It was a 1/2 off weekend.
                        66, 351W FITECH, NP435, D20, D44, CURRIE 9", ARB, 4.5 WH, 2" bl, 37,'s

Comment

Here's a good link on classicbroncos with all the part numbers.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175818
                          66, 351W FITECH, NP435, D20, D44, CURRIE 9", ARB, 4.5 WH, 2" bl, 37,'s

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                            So it looks like you're in the middle of doing the swap.

This is one project that i need to get done soon.

Any chance you could share/write up what you're doing?
                            Yeah, I am going to rebuild my steering box and drill and tap it, add ram assist steering and hydroboost all at the same time. I'll try and take pictures as I go.

Comment

Originally posted by jwill84 View Post
                              Here's a good link on classicbroncos with all the part numbers.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175818
                              Sorry Patrick I was out of town, Reno... for a Baseball tournament. We won

Jwill84 thanks for stepping up. Dan Wheeler's thread is what I used... Doug
                              2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                              1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                              2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Working...
                              X