Ghetto preoiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghetto preoiler

I'm cracking myself up with this one. Hooked up a HF transfer drill pump via 3/4" vinyl lines to the oil filter threaded output. Ran a 32 oz bottle of Marvel through it then 32 oz of motor oil. Got 10+ psi on the gauge and oil out all of the rockers. Figured after a 5 year rest it was worthwhile and I wasn't patient enough to order the tool.

Re: Ghetto preoiler

I used a couple 1/4" socket extensions and a deep socket on the end of a drill into the oil pump before starting up a new motor. I taped the joints together to keep them from pulling apart and falling in the oil pan. You can also use the shaft of a distributor.

Comment

I did the same thing as you gddyap a bunch of times but the last time I did it the socket came off and dropped down in the pan being lazy I just stuck a big magnet on the pan and moved it around to grab the socket to get it out the drain plug. It was much easier to just ask if somebody had the correct tool on the forum.

Comment

Too funny.
        I went down to a local engine builder shop and begged to borrow the tool. He made me give a $100 deposit, and I returned it to him a few hours later.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

The tool is only about 15$, just never bought one. Didn't want to drop a socket either! I think I'll get one just in case.

Comment

You can take apart an old distributor for free... remove the gear, take all the parts off the top and chuck your drill to the top of the shaft.
            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I've always used the distributor shafts, but I really like the pump and tube idea!
              Sounds like it should have been messy though, pumping the oil around there with no filter in place. How did you block off the other holes in the filter boss? Or are they covered up somehow even with the filter off?

Paul
              Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
              www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
              68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDonk View Post
                I've always used the distributor shafts, but I really like the pump and tube idea!
                Sounds like it should have been messy though, pumping the oil around there with no filter in place. How did you block off the other holes in the filter boss? Or are they covered up somehow even with the filter off?

Paul
                The other holes are fed from the pump. The center is the feed out of the filter - whatever you pump in drains to the pan. It is a bit messy, though.

Comment

Working...
                X