Looking for Full width D44 write ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Full width D44 write ups

I'm looking for information or write ups about going from an EB width D44 to a full width highpinion D44
    Ive got a High pinion D44 out of a 78 f150 with cast wedges
    I'm currently running 5.5 lift w/duff extended radius arms
    37" wheels on 17" wheels with 4.5" or so back spacing and wheel spacers
    Looking for any information on the subject as well as input pros and cons
    I do intend on upgrading the axles and adding an ARB
    Any help is appreciated
    TIA

Re: Looking for Full width D44 write ups

Joe I ran one of these for a while. It was long ago so I don't know what pics I may still have. The cast pieces make it harder to realign your coil mounts. Couple ways to deal with that. In addition to draglink/tracbar you may need to change exhaust, master cylinder, radius arm frame brackets.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0738[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	739.0 KB
ID:	274451Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0647[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	274452I'm running the same tire/wheel specs on mine so you can see how it would look. I used a non cast wedge housing and relocated the wedges to correct the caster issues. I also went to Ruff Stuff 1 ton steering linkage to alleviate any bump steer. The factory track bar mount at the frame, but custom mount to the passenger "C" at the axle end. This set up drives great but I cant speak to the cast wedge set up that you have. The exhaust clearance to the front drive shaft is tricky depending on what manifolds you are running.
      Lift on mine is a 3 1/2 suspension with a 2" body.
      Good Luck!
      '75 Bronco in the works..
      '69/2012 FJ40 with some stuff.

Comment

When you say you re welded the wedges to correct the castor issues can you explain exactly what you mean? Because i think i know what you mean but to be honest im not 100% sure. Im planning on using the James Duff full width offset coil buckets. Im already running there extended radius arms which they tell me that the existing radius arm mounting locations will work. As well as the C bushings i am already using. I run a 5.5" WH lift with the body mount w/1" of lift. im also thinking of going tie rod over or the ruff stuff set up that you have. I have never had any bump steer issues with my current set up and im hoping to avoid it with the new setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Lickey View Post
          When you say you re welded the wedges to correct the castor issues can you explain exactly what you mean? Because i think i know what you mean but to be honest im not 100% sure. Im planning on using the James Duff full width offset coil buckets. Im already running there extended radius arms which they tell me that the existing radius arm mounting locations will work. As well as the C bushings i am already using. I run a 5.5" WH lift with the body mount w/1" of lift. im also thinking of going tie rod over or the ruff stuff set up that you have. I have never had any bump steer issues with my current set up and im hoping to avoid it with the new setup.
          I'm running extended stock radius arms, not the adjustable James Duff like you have, so in order to get the correct caster angle I had to cut off the wedges on my housing and weld them back on about 7 degrees from where they where originally mounted. I believe your arms are adjustable so you shouldn't have that issue. The full width axle will have the wedges about 5" further apart than your stock axle. The extended coil buckets will keep your spring alignment, but it will depend on how much side to side movement you have at the frame mount for the radius arms whether they will be able to be spread apart without stressing the bushing/joint.

I believe there is a difference in the orientation of the wedges/Cs between a stock housing and your 78. You probably already know this, but your caster is determined by the angle of your axle "C" that the knuckle is attached to. If I remember correctly, the wedge/C orientation will cause you to have less or no positive caster when compared to your current set up. In my experience a positive caster of 7 degrees will give you proper road manners and works well with the pinion/drive shaft angle.

IMPORTANT-Please research the caster angle issue to make sure your arms will allow you enough adjustment to get where you need to be. Most of the drivability issues I see with lifted vehicles stem from too little positive caster.

I'm sure somebody else here has done the full width cast wedge conversion with Duff arms and will be able to chime in with their experience.
          '75 Bronco in the works..
          '69/2012 FJ40 with some stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X