PCV and vacuum hose with SEFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCV and vacuum hose with SEFI

While changing my intake manifold gasket I noticed oil in my intake. I think it's coming from the PCV valve or the breather hose on the other valve cover. I am wondering if my hoses are hooked up to the right ports. I am using an Edelbrock Performer intake and no EGR valve. My PCV valve is for a '94 Ford 5.8L that comes from the driver's valve cover and is hooked up to a large port under the upper intake. The breather on the passenger side valve cover goes to the large port on top of the throttle body. My fuel rail is from a stock 5.0L that I widened to fit the 5.8L. That is also connected to a small port under the upper intake. Do all of my hose locations sound right? Here is a pic of the oil. I'll post more of my hoses later. Thanks,Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5516.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	288607
    Kyle
    Aptos
    1967 EB, 5.8, AOD, Stak 5.22, 37's, Dana44/9" w/ARBs 5.13s, 3.5" WH SL, 2" BL, 4wheel disc hydroboost, wristed.

Re: PCV and vacuum hose with SEFI

Here are some more pics. After looking at it a little closer, I believe the oil is coming from the PCV valve. The hose from the passenger valve cover and throttle body are pretty dry. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5522.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	274484

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5517.jpg
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	274482Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5514.jpg
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	274483
    Kyle
    Aptos
    1967 EB, 5.8, AOD, Stak 5.22, 37's, Dana44/9" w/ARBs 5.13s, 3.5" WH SL, 2" BL, 4wheel disc hydroboost, wristed.

Comment

It's common that oil gets sucked up from the lower intake through the pcv valve. It happens to my 351 with GT40 intake manifold. You can change the filter. It looks like steel wool. I put a disc with a hole in it under the filter material as a reducer to limit air flow.

Comment

I forgot to mention there should be a baffle on the bottom of the lower intake. Ford started out with a small one just under the PCV but then put in larger one. That's supposed to reduce oil suckage.

Comment

Which filter are you talking about? Is there a filter in the PCV?

I have been using the original hole on my driver's valve cover (from when I had carb) for my PCV valve. I then plugged the hole on my lower intake. There are baffles under both locations. Should I use the hole on the lower intake and plug the valve cover? I didn't think it made a difference.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5524.jpg
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	274485Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5525.jpg
Size:	595.6 KB
ID:	274486
          Kyle
          Aptos

Comment

I guess I should have read your first post more carefully. I use the hole in the back of lower intake for PCV and it sucks up oil. It has a filter that looks like steel wool. I would keep using the one in the valve cover. I've read of people switching the PCV to the valve cover because the lower intake location sucks up oil like mine does. I once found motor oil in the hose to the vacuum modulator on my C4.
            Last edited by gddyap; 03-09-2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Ok, sounds good. Thanks for your input.
              Kyle
              Kyle
              Aptos

Comment

Working...
              X