Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.0 swap questions 94-95 Mustang

Hey guys,
    I've been doing a lot of searching but can't seem to find much solid information. I have a donor motor from a 94 Mustang. Came from a car with an automatic transmission. Missing computer and wiring. Looking to swap it into my 75 bronco that has a 302 and C4.
    I'm looking for guidance on a part list for this swap.

I don't know if I need a new upper intake or MAF or a distributor. I was told the connections are different between the generations of motors. Also, can I use the front serpentine setup? Will I need to delete anything off of it or need a new power steering pump?

I know I'll need:
    Flywheel
    Wiring harness
    AL9 computer
    Headers with O2 sensors
    75 Bronco - 5.0 EDIS/4R70W/44/9
    68 Bronco - 6 cyl, 3 speed SOLD
    71 Bronco - 302/NP435/44/9 ARB 4:88's 5.5 lift, 37 Toyos SOLD
    70 Bronco - 1 tons/42's/ Coilovers f/r SOLD

Re: 5.0 swap questions 94-95 Mustang

You can use the upper. The only difference with the earlier manifolds is the throttle body is on an elbow. You may have to get creative with intake tube routing.
    You can reuse the MAF sensor, if you have it.
    You can also use the distributor unless there's something wrong with it. Just get a rebuilt unit.
    Serpentine is also fine. You won't be able to fit a fan clutch and will probably need a flex fan with the right spacer.
    The Mustang PS pump will leave a lot to be desired. The flow and pressure are for a rack and pinion unit. You can swap it for a similar year Ford truck PS pump to get better performance. There's an off-the-shelf pressure hose that will connect the Ford pump to the Bronco box. I think it's a 78 t-bird with the 400 and Saginaw steering. I eventually switched the driver's side brackets to Econoline to get a Saginaw pump. The offset is the same so the pulleys line up with the Mustang passenger side brackets (alternator) and water pump. You may have to tweek the hard line a little for clearance.
    Don't forget the water pump runs reverse so you will need a way to connect the Bronco radiator. I made a crossover tube for the lower portion. There's an off the shelf upper hose you can modify to make work but I don't remember the application. I think it was GM.
    You can get rid of the smog pump and use a shorter belt.
    I us the AC compressor as an air compressor. I squirt some compressor oil in the intake side every now and then because it doesn't have it's own oiling system. I wired a simple toggle switch for the clutch.
    You can reuse your exhaust manifolds and add O2 sensor bungs to the exhaust right after the manifolds.
    Are you using the Mustang tranny or the C4? I'm not sure if 94 was still the AOD. I might have the right 164 tooth 50oz-in flexplate for the C4.
    Last edited by gddyap; 03-31-2017, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Yeah I'm going to reuse the bronco C4 trans behind the 5.0. Since I don't have wiring or computer I was looking at doing the painless harness and according to their site it specifies that I need a few things for it to work.
      From Painless
      This harness is based on the 1993 Ford Mustang setup and is designed to be a
      complete wiring system for the fuel injection system on Ford 5.0L fuel injection
      engines with (Mass Air Flow System). This harness includes all wiring that is needed by the computer to run and control the fuel injection system.
      Note: `94 & 95 engines will require switching the distributor to an `86-93 type and
      modifying the TPS wiring.

Someone else said:
      On top of that you will more than likely have to add a BAP sensor as the 94-95 that sensors function is done in the ECC.

Comment

I wonder if 94/95 used a remote mount TFI so that's why you have to change distributors.
        JimGo has a Ford motorsports EFI harness for sale in the stuff section. I think it's based on the 93 Mustang. At least the one I bought 15 years ago was.
        69Bronco has an RJM style harness (modified Mustang) harness for sale too.
        I wonder if you'd be money ahead just getting a 4v intake and putting in a Holley Sniper or FITech EFI system.
        Last edited by gddyap; 03-31-2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

So I am not a Painless Fan... Great product/Great support, But they are proud of it $$$ and then you have to buy wire loom to finish it off... Even with a $100 rebate that I have seen, not sure I would go that way.
          I just sold a 94-95 Distrib to Jim at WH at the Round-up last year. Your right Gil, it does have a remote TFI. So that is why they want you to go to a non-remote TFI distributor.

I think you will need to decide on an EFI harness first and then make the rest of your parts purchases after... (I did see Jim has one for sale too!)

It looks like all the harnesses that WH sells use 87-93 Mustang components, so you could use those years sensors.

Flexplate, I guess your motor did not come with one? You might have been able to re-use it.
          It will need a 50oz imbalance, same diameter as C4, most important is the torque converter holes have to line up with the studs on the C4 torque converter.
          There was a lot of chatter on Classic about smaller flexplates and different sizes for the stud spacing on the C4 torque converter. Got to make sure it is right B4 you drop the motor in.

If you are going to the Round up, I think I have a flex plate from an 86 T-Bird 5.0 (AOD) I can give you. If it does not work, then send it back...

I am getting ready to do a EFI conversion of Dr Bill's Bronco, been collecting parts for that, happy to answer questions, as is everyone here on the NorCal

Doug
          Last edited by 904Bronco; 03-31-2017, 05:06 PM.
          2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
          1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
          2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

If you can figure out how to do the remote TFI (I'm sure there's a write up somewhere), then I would go that way. Otherwise carry a spare module like I do. There was a huge Ford recall on modules because they fail when they get too hot. That's why they went remote.
            Don't forget your fuel system. You'll need a high pressure pump and a return line. The high pressure lines need to be hard lines (steel, stainless, nylon) or EFI rated hose. The return line can use low pressure fuel hose like for carburetors. I'm going to redo my lines soon and use nylon.

JimGo also has a mustang intake in the pay-it-forward thread in the for sale section. Ask him what year Mustang. It might be 87-93.
            Last edited by gddyap; 03-31-2017, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
              So I am not a Painless Fan... Great product/Great support, But they are proud of it $$$ and then you have to buy wire loom to finish it off... Even with a $100 rebate that I have seen, not sure I would go that way.
              I just sold a 94-95 Distrib to Jim at WH at the Round-up last year. Your right Gil, it does have a remote TFI. So that is why they want you to go to a non-remote TFI distributor.

I think you will need to decide on an EFI harness first and then make the rest of your parts purchases after... (I did see Jim has one for sale too!)

It looks like all the harnesses that WH sells use 87-93 Mustang components, so you could use those years sensors.

Flexplate, I guess your motor did not come with one? You might have been able to re-use it.
              It will need a 50oz imbalance, same diameter as C4, most important is the torque converter holes have to line up with the studs on the C4 torque converter.
              There was a lot of chatter on Classic about smaller flexplates and different sizes for the stud spacing on the C4 torque converter. Got to make sure it is right B4 you drop the motor in.

If you are going to the Round up, I think I have a flex plate from an 86 T-Bird 5.0 (AOD) I can give you. If it does not work, then send it back...

I am getting ready to do a EFI conversion of Dr Bill's Bronco, been collecting parts for that, happy to answer questions, as is everyone here on the NorCal

Doug
              Flex plate is 164 tooth with 11.5 bolt spread on the TRQ converter studs...

Oh, he has got a thread about this going on Classic as well...

Comment

Ok thanks a lot! Yeah the painless harness is pricey, it looks like the WH kit is a little more expensive too. Unfortunately I can't make it to the round up because I have national guard this weekend. That and I live in Carson City, NV. I definitely want to use my donor motor because I already have it. It sounds like I'll just need to pick up a harness/computer/distributor and electric fan.

I've thought about those EFI kits like sniper or FITech but I don't know much about them. I need to get a new fuel tank anyways because mine is questionable.

I'll message JimGo and see if I can get those parts are correct for what I need.

Comment

So now someone on classicbroncos brought up the idea of going with an explorer setup. Reasons being, I need harness/computer/serpentine setup/fan blah blah blah. Also, my C4 auto is smoked, so it needs rebuilt or replaced. Now with the idea of getting a complete explorer is appealing since I can put the 4R70W in and have overdrive. Any downsides to this swap? I know I'd need the ecu flashed and wiring harness modified but I'm seeing wrecked Explorers as cheap as $300.

Comment

Unless you are planning to rework the Explorer wiring harness yourself? EFI Guy, who has done two of mine and quite a few others, Is 4 months out... A ECU reflash can be done in a week or so..

Most Explorers that I have seen have had bad Trannies, and would need to be gone through. If you get a 2wd, then you have to go into the trans to replace the output shaft.
                    If you get a 4wd tranny then you do not... Still have to Buy an A/A adapter for both... In the $600 range.

Explorer is a good option...

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                      Unless you are planning to rework the Explorer wiring harness yourself? EFI Guy, who has done two of mine and quite a few others, Is 4 months out... A ECU reflash can be done in a week or so..

Most Explorers that I have seen have had bad Trannies, and would need to be gone through. If you get a 2wd, then you have to go into the trans to replace the output shaft.
                      If you get a 4wd tranny then you do not... Still have to Buy an A/A adapter for both... In the $600 range.

Explorer is a good option...
                      hey thanks for the replies, yeah I've found a few broncos in my area from 300-1000. Some have bad trannys, one has a bad t-case, one has front end damage, and all are 4WD. Idk, from my stand point, this is the most appealing option for me right now, my bronco that I bought is in really bad shape so it is in my best interest to replace as much stuff as possible. I looked through your build threads and I'm thoroughly impressed.

I'd prefer not to do the wiring harness myself but if EFIguy is 4 months out then I'll have to try to tackle it myself I guess. I was hoping to get this swap done before June so I can mob the bronco around this summer but everyone always has high hopes from the beginning.

I don't want to get too deep into a restoration with my 75 because it would cost me 20k to make it how I wanted it. Looking

Comment

EFI Guy has a thread on Classic with u-tube video on how to do the rewire... I almost did... Then chickened out and sent mine to him...

And Thank you.
                        Last edited by 904Bronco; 04-01-2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X