Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2wd EB

Ok... dont beat me and kick me out!
    I am considering putting the M5OD-R2 (mazda 5spd, same size as the zf if I remember correctly) in my bronco for the street... for now!
    I cant afford the 205 transfer case and I have the transmission out of my old newer bronco already.
    the question I have (that I cant find a definitive answer to) can I run the d30 with no drive shaft hooked up to it?
    would it destroy the d30?
    are there any other issues?
    thanks
    '67 4bbl 351w 3spd 4.11 3.5'' 33'' Workin Project!
    Most people will never imagine what Me and My Bronco have been through.

Re: 2wd EB

You can run without a front driveshaft, it makes absolutely no difference. With the hubs unlocked, nothing internal is actually spinning. You are in no danger of ruining anything.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

As long as the hubs are unlocked, I see no problem with running the D30 with no driveline hooked to it. The only part that will be spinning is the wheel bearings and wheels.

Comment

Yall are awesome, just cause it's kinda on topic and I am being lazy... can I use a long drive shaft on the 4wd transmission? or would I have to change the tail shaft?

Comment

Unknown, but likely no. If the vehicle that it came from had a single-cardan style front joint, your double-cardan driveshaft can't bolt up. And depending on the truck it came from the size category of the joints might be different anyway. EB's came with the bare minimum (but fine for them back in the day) 1310 series. Whereas the full-size trucks could have had 1310's, 1330's, 1350's and even 14-somethings. So while anything is potentially possible, the likelihood that anything off the Bronco will bolt up to the new trans is slim.

And gets even slimmer simply because it IS a 4wd trans. A 2wd trans is expected to have a yoke on the end. A 4wd trans just has splines, and they might not be the right splines for any existing yoke.
          And then there's how it will attach? Usually they're held on by a big nut so have threaded ends on the shafts. Does yours have any kind of retaining feature? Or is it just splines right up to the end? If so, you'd have to come up with a totally custom housing that has it's own shaft that retains the yoke, while slipping over the trans tailshaft and bolts to the trans body to stay in place.
          But I don't know how your trans works. Got any pics you can share?

Paul
          Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
          www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
          68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

not sure why I never get notifications of a reply.
            You are right, the splines go all the way to the end and I dont see how I am going to get anything on there.
            so I would have to find a tail housing or 2wd trans. (shouldnt be hard, but dont really want to go 2wd)
            I was also told that the long drive shaft would cause havok on a long trip (although I do remember that some ford trucks have a dual drive shaft that bolts to the bed)
            I found a good price on NP205's and then found out that the np205 has higher gears, so to keep my gearing I would have to find an adapter and go the more expensive route.
            I am really not sure what to do... if anyone has any advise I have no issues listening!
            thank you paul, for trying to help my tangled up mess

Comment

Ok, not sure how many were laughing at me... because I realized my answer and laughed at myself!
              Since I would be losing the 4wd anyway... and just need gears "Gears" to get on the freeway.
              I can just change the gears (45 mins of work) to get out of town and should have no issues (except having to use 1st gear to take off)
              this way I have time and I can see which parts come up first... after I get going again!
              Thanks and sorry for taking up so much space.

Comment

Working...
              X