Dimensions of a 23 gallon tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimensions of a 23 gallon tank

For those Of you with 23 gallon tanks (aero, Sherman,etc) let me know which you have.......can you give me the depth at the diff end, how long the top and bottom is? I can deal with the bumper end and angled piece.

Been in talks with Rockbronco and that's a start, I want to see what others are have.

Thanks in advance

Re: Dimensions of a 23 gallon tank

I don't know what brand tank this is. I got it from cityhick. Here are the #s
    Attached Files
    67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
    69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
    69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
    79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
    67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

That's an Aero Tank.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

That works! Why the notch at the rear of the tank....I got to go look at my tub now.

Comment

So the high point can still tuck up all the way to the body (almost) and the lower section comes out under the tailgate area and almost to the bumper.
          I'm not sure that much room is needed, but they all have it to a certain extent.
          Looks just like a NWMP/Sunset Metals tank (20 gallon body lift version only) as well.

I'll measure the Aero, but I seem to remember the NWMP tank being the shortest, with the Sherman being the tallest, with the Aero right in the middle. But with the total difference being less than an inch and a half from short to tall.
          Just memory from a long time ago comparison though. Now let me find a tape measure to confirm.

Paul
          Last edited by DirtDonk; 12-01-2017, 10:02 PM.
          Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
          www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
          68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

The Aero in Doug's old '68 is roughly 13.5" or so. Could not get an accurate measurement at night with the flashlight in one hand, but that's pretty close.
            If CityHick took those measurements right off of a tank, then I may be off in my eyeballing in the truck.

Paul
            Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
            www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
            68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I shall be on the gas tank today so I will be seeing what I can fit under mine with the rear pushed back 4".

Tony can build a backyard BBQ kitchen, so I am quite confident with his tape measure skills! Hahah

Comment

I didn't provide those measurements. It's just my old tank, which was built by Aero.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

With the notch shown on the drawing only being 3 inches, I believe this tank is for no body lift. IIRC the notch should be more like 5 1/2 inches for a 2 inch body lift. Than means the notch area will contact the crossmember and there with be a 2 inch space between the top of the tank and the bottom of the bed floor. To make it work you would have to put 2 inch spacers between the bed floor and the tank. It also means the tank will sit 2 inches lower than it needs to.

I started a thread about this very topic on July 30, 2017 but I can't figure out how to link it here. You might search for it. It's got some good info in it.

Comment

I will search, don't remember one of such but when I be wrong I am wrong.

I plan to account for the body lift If I can get more fuel capacity. Have the above piece cut out in poster board to see what I can change etc.

Will be using unistrut to mount it so I won't need to worry about the body to mount it up to.

Anything to go back to Moab not wondering If I am low on fuel daily. May even incorporate a back up fuel tube sight that I can pop under to see where I am at. As I am still a little confused which sender to use with an auto meter fuel gauge.

May be ditching the stock speedo to boot.
                    Last edited by PhantomEB; 12-03-2017, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomEB View Post
                      I will search, don't remember one of such but when I be wrong I am wrong.

I plan to account for the body lift If I can get more fuel capacity. Have the above piece cut out in poster board to see what I can change etc.

Will be using unistrut to mount it so I won't need to worry about the body to mount it up to.

Anything to go back to Moab not wondering If I am low on fuel daily. May even incorporate a back up fuel tube sight that I can pop under to see where I am at. As I am still a little confused which sender to use with an auto meter fuel gauge.

May be ditching the stock speedo to boot.
                      The sending unit is dependent on the Ohm range of the gauge... Should be easy to match them.
                      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Still need any tank measurements?

I just modified mine again to accomodate the rear axle getting moved back 5". It is/was an old skool NWMP that I modified to fit my body lift 20 yrs ago. It still holds appr 22.5 gal.
                        Last edited by nvrstuk; 12-07-2017, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Nope you seen my work!

Comment

I did not use a bleed screw Walbro pick up when I converted my tank several years back. The reason why was because if the pick up that has the vent hole in it becomes uncovered it will suck air and then you have another set of problems. I have never had an issue running like this in years and years. I've got 4 Walbro's, one in each corner. Just thought I'd toss that out.
                            Last edited by nvrstuk; 12-09-2017, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X