Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which u-joint is stronger? Answer within!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which u-joint is stronger? Answer within!

We all have been at that point where it's time to upgrade our axle u-joints and have come to the cross roads of making a decision which ones to buy. So we post up a question and everyone gives their opinion based on their own personal experiences or their friends, brothers, cousins, neighbors best friends experience which quickly degrades into an argument with ever one defending the u-joints that they are running.

Well....here is the actual data from testing done by the University of Washington. Judge for yourself.

CLICK

Originally posted by crawlin68
    We all have been at that point where it's time to upgrade our axle u-joints and have come to the cross roads of making a decision which ones to buy. So we post up a question and everyone gives their opinion based on their own personal experiences or their friends, brothers, cousins, neighbors best friends experience which quickly degrades into an argument with ever one defending the u-joints that they are running.

Well....here is the actual data from testing done by the University of Washington. Judge for yourself.

CLICK
    Post it on Pirate, then duck before the words start flying. I have Yukons. Obviously better than Spicers. They ought to be, since they cost a lot more. Based on that test I'd pony up a little more green next time though.
    1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
    I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

I have to disagree with some of the test results. It tested the main body strength of the U joint, when I waste a u joint its the cap that is taking a crap on me... so i would like to see the testing expanded to determine if having an extremely hard u joint body creates premature cap failure. I think we would like to have a balance between the two..
      70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbronco
        I have to disagree with some of the test results. It tested the main body strength of the U joint, when I waste a u joint its the cap that is taking a crap on me... so i would like to see the testing expanded to determine if having an extremely hard u joint body creates premature cap failure. I think we would like to have a balance between the two..
        Has anyone tackwelded the cap to the axle? I have heard this increases life of the Ujoint.. (Cap Failure)

Good?? Bad??
        Thanks
        A
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

I have Yukons. Obviously better than Spicers. They ought to be, since they cost a lot more. Based on that test I'd pony up a little more green next time though.
          The yukons may not be as strong but if they are stronger than any axles made is it really relevant. With that said I will probably spend the extra money for some CTM's.
          Last edited by highlander; 03-09-2007, 12:18 PM.
          69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Quote:
            I have Yukons. Obviously better than Spicers. They ought to be, since they cost a lot more. Based on that test I'd pony up a little more green next time though.

The yukons may not be as strong but if they are stronger than any axles made is it really relevant. With that said I will probably spend the extra money for some CTM's.
            Altough the 300m/longfield joints are only $145 a piece that's about the same as Yukons.
            69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

I plan to get the 300M Longfields as a guy I know (Wolf359 on Pirate) personally ran them with Yukon axles in his Cruiser during a WERock event up here and he says that set up was the best bang for the buck.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbronco
                Some thing's going to be the weak link. You have a good point, it's easy to draw conclusions from the test that may be incomplete. My Yukon joints are installed in Warn axles (which were supposedly the "strongest" until the Superiors came out), naturally with full circle clips. Still, it's a press fit. As I was assembling mine two years ago I was pondering how much better the coupling would be between cap and axle ear if the caps screwed into the ear instead of being pressed. Obviously, that's why some people weld them. Oh well, it's academic for me. I'm so cautious with the gas pedal when wheeling (and I only run 35" tires) that it's not likely to be an issue.
                1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

very thorough

but my Kragen bought u-joints have a LIFETIME warranty on them hahaha and they were only $19.99 a piece.
                  MWAA HA HA HA!
                  dam im cheap!
                  {o===o}
                  Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                  EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                  I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                    very thorough

but my Kragen bought u-joints have a LIFETIME warranty on them hahaha and they were only $19.99 a piece.
                    MWAA HA HA HA!
                    dam im cheap!

Last I checked there wasnt a Kragens on the trail.. That 19.99 will cost you a 100.00 cab ride..

A
                    KK6DAD
                    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Yea, but at $19.95 couldn't you buy a bunch of spares? Just playin Devils Advocate.
                      1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Til one of those cheapie ujoints takes out your axle? Then what?

Comment

hahahaa i know my cheapness will catch up to me soon
                          just give it 7 years when im older and maybe ill be caught up to you guys on this board
                          {o===o}
                          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomEB
                            Til one of those cheapie ujoints takes out your axle? Then what?

OUCH!! .....UHH...Hello.....AAA....Yea , I'm 5 miles off the road. Can you send a truck
                            1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                              hahahaa i know my cheapness will catch up to me soon
                              just give it 7 years when im older and maybe ill be caught up to you guys on this board
                              No worries I have spicers in mine..... I will upgrade soon.. But there are soo many things to spend money on..
                              A
                              KK6DAD
                              70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Working...
                              X