435, stabbed, but wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 435, stabbed, but wrong

I @&*%'d around with it for hours, then the mech neighbor comes over and 'bam' its in. BUT now the engine wont turn over unless the clutch is in. I know there is something amiss in the tranny. I'm going to pull the cover off (plus make adding oil easier) and take a look. My manuals here really dont show how things have to be lined up when I re-assemble it in the N position. I have shop manuals, full parts breakdowns etc, and all they say is 'reassemble'

Rick-
    Last edited by Broncrick; 06-22-2007, 10:59 AM. Reason: dork
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

I just went through this. When you start the motor with the clutch engaged and the shifter in the neutral position does the truck want to move or does it die? That's what mine did, Would only run with the clutch engaged My problem was the forks being just a hair off when I stabbed them. This is hard enough to do on the bench, in the truck, OUCH. The gears for reverse were out of place on their shaft and I think this created a bind. This wouldn't let the truck start or run without the clutch in. It took allot of patience (and beer). Not that I can help all that much but I'm close if you need help. Sac Right?
    Tony
    1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Tony, yep here in Sac about 10 mins away from you (back roads) Yes the engine wont turn over till the clutch is in. The gears seem to be correct but tough to get into 1st, 3rd, still learning this new but simple tranny

Rick-
      68 Slightly modified
      67 LUBR once again
      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Hey Rick

Did you ever get that cover on and the gears working? Did you open up the tunnel or what?
        Again, Thanks for the gas. Call if you need a hand.
        Tony
        1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

No prob Tony, always have enough gas to spare Did cut the tunnel more, worked real carefull with the grinder since the last digit fun. Messed around a bit with the lid and hope to work more this weekend.

Thanks for your insight and help

Rick-
          68 Slightly modified
          67 LUBR once again
          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Finally got it! Dont trust all the info on the web as accurate been using a set of pics off of CB to stab the cover for hours and hours. Picked up a top cover from Jack (Ironbender) and duplicated the rail positions, BAM! its in! Just might get out of the garage today

Correct rail positions when the trans is in neutral....
            Attached Files
            68 Slightly modified
            67 LUBR once again
            61 Willy Wagon

Comment

thats good for prosperity!

it took me hours to get mine in right also. first time i put it on, i had the same issue with starting in gear syndrome. also, when this happened, i couldnt find reverse. it would shift into what i thought was reverse, but let out the clutch, and it went forward! man, that was an odd feeling. lol
              Last edited by B-one; 06-22-2007, 06:54 AM.
              (o==o)

Comment

Yeah the NP435 is a bit of a quirky tranny to work with. I thought I had mine in right but lets just say I'm glad I decided to hack off the top of my tranny tunnel. A serious PITA but hopefully only a one time deal (or at least a rare occasion when I have to pull that thing apart. You can tell if the rods are in the right place from the top too with a flashlight looking down the shift tower. The 3 rods form a rectangular "cup" when they are in the right location.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Yep did that, way too many times, I am now VERY well versed in 435 top cover placement this has kept the rig in the garage for way too much time.

Of course after many times trying to stab the cover on and make it work, I found out a gate on the 3-4 rail was broken (got another cover/broken trans) Too many days/weeks/months wrestling with what should have been an easy swap has kicked my arse...
                  Last edited by Broncrick; 06-22-2007, 08:27 AM.
                  68 Slightly modified
                  67 LUBR once again
                  61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Glad to hear that you finally got it in. What a time killing PITA. Hope I never have to pull mine again. Mines real close too. Maybe we'll have em on the trail sometime this summer.
                    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by blwngsket
                      What a time killing PITA. Hope I never have to pull mine again.
                      Tony
                      why not, you are getting so damn good at it...
                      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by blwngsket
                          Glad to hear that you finally got it in. What a time killing PITA. Hope I never have to pull mine again. Mines real close too. Maybe we'll have em on the trail sometime this summer.
                          Tony
                          I'm ready Tony, lets go!
                          68 Slightly modified
                          67 LUBR once again
                          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Mount the seats, Take care of the Non-op and I think I'm good. Untill the next up grade.
                            Oh yea, got the synronized wipers wired up and working. Tommorow I'll try and post a video. That ought to be interesting, I'm a computer idiot.
                            Tony

Comment

Working...
                            X