Buying Rod ends for Windshield Braces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Rod ends for Windshield Braces

I am going to buy some small rod ends to build some windshield braces. Since I have some 1/2 X .083 wall stainless tubing I can run the tap in without having to tap drill first. Here is the info I have if you are thinking of doing something similar:

Rod End 3/8-24 male thread w/ 5/16 hole
    Price for the EM5-6 $2.97 ea. R or LH Thread
    Price for the LM5-6 $6.55 ea. R or LH thread
    Jam nuts SJNR06 and SJNL06 are extra $

buying from:
    http://www.rodendsupply.com/RodEndCatalog.pdf

I am also getting ready to buy a 3/8-24 left hand tap from:
    http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/index.html
    Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

I went an easier route. I bought four female rod ends, four jam nuts, and a one foot piece of stainless threaded rod...

Comment

Kiss

here is a super simple, cheap windshield brace....
      The bolt is more permanent or the clip can be used if it is folded down alot.

Sillyfab
      Attached Files
      Last edited by brocbronc; 05-17-2007, 05:42 PM.
      69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

I thought about doing the threaded rod but it does not allow you to adjust distance easy. With the left hand thread on one end it works like a turnbuckle. As for quick release I like the way you did yours Boncbronc.
        I might do that later but my question is:
        What do you rest the windshield on? Right now while I am working on it I use an empty plastic antifreeze jug. On a bumpy trail what the heck would you use?
        Last edited by Spaceburger; 05-17-2007, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Done

I finished the fab. So the 4 rod ends ( 2 left hand threads and 2 right hand) were $12, the left hand tab $6, the right hand tap $2.50, and another 16$ for shipping, and the absolute pain in the ass to tap the stainless tubing (but I did it) and I say it was worth the hassle. I also bought enough rodends to do the other Bronco. So it was worth it.
          Attached Files

Comment

looks great. Where did you pick up the left handed tap??
            “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceburger
              I am also getting ready to buy a 3/8-24 left hand tap from:
              http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by bigjhoov
                “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Hand tapping a left hand thread is a totally un-natural act. I also found the tap went in far enough to allow the rod ends to almost go in shy a few threads (w/ jam nut).
                  Victor Machine Tool had great prices and responsive shipping. Everything was done electronically, I placed the order, and 5 days later I got taps.
                  Rod End Supply gave me a 10% discount on everything; the jam nuts were like 20 cents each. I had to call them to get prices initially.
                  Electronic Commerce and a good search engine...WOW

Comment

I will definitely use victornet.com in the future...great link for tooling.

Comment

Yea Victor Tool rocks! Thier pricing is great and the first time through my shopping basket was over $200. Then I decided I had enough drills, taps, shim stock, and other crap already and didnt need more. I always wanted a milling machine.....

Comment

Working...
                      X