Crab cage installation issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crab cage installation issues

I'm trying to install my Crab cage but I'm having some issues. The rear driver side footplate is hitting the fenderwell and keeping the cage from coming far enough forward. Has anyone else had this problem?( driver and pass.rear footplates pictured)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by silverhorse; 05-30-2007, 12:35 PM.
    Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

I haven't had any experience with the crab cages but it looks like you could trim a little of the mounting plate to scoot it forward some. How far forward do you need it?
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Are you sure it isn't supposed to sit on the slightly lower flat portion of the bed there? That is a much stronger location.
      Hopefully someone with one of these cages will pipe up soon.
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

nork2bg just put one in, he should know!!!!
        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by highlander
          I haven't had any experience with the crab cages but it looks like you could trim a little of the mounting plate to scoot it forward some. How far forward do you need it?

Not sure, I just don't like how the rear downbars sit uneven on either surface, it needs to move one way or the other or be fabbed differently! I should'nt have to trim anything for what I paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72
            Are you sure it isn't supposed to sit on the slightly lower flat portion of the bed there? That is a much stronger location.
            Hopefully someone with one of these cages will pipe up soon.
            Unfortunatly it won't, It's too wide to sit there. It looks like to me that the footplate should be contoured to the bed or redesigned.
            Last edited by silverhorse; 05-30-2007, 06:02 PM.

Comment

From the size of the base plate your bolts will be on both sides of the seam under the bed, which isn't a bad thing. Just fill the gap with some green caulk . That cage looks real good on your bronco though.
              67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
              69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
              69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
              79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
              67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

not caulk,,, 3/8'' paint
                72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Your probably going to have to trim anything that is mass produced for our trucks. They are built on a jig and the trucks are 40 years old and were not produced with the tolerances that cars today are in the first place. How much further foward do you want it, it looks pretty good where it us. Got to say, love the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by 69crawler
                    From the size of the base plate your bolts will be on both sides of the seam under the bed, which isn't a bad thing. Just fill the gap with some green caulk . That cage looks real good on your bronco though.
                    I'll just slap some Bondo under there.LOL He do make a fine looking Cage!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjhoov
                      Your probably going to have to trim anything that is mass produced for our trucks. They are built on a jig and the trucks are 40 years old and were not produced with the tolerances that cars today are in the first place. How much further foward do you want it, it looks pretty good where it us. Got to say, love the paint.
                      I'm not sure how much farther forward it should be but the downtube is two inches from the bottom of the dash and the front footplate is 1 1/4" from the bend in the floorboard.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I'd just trim the rear plate to allow a little more forward movement and put a piece of 1/4" under the rear plates to make up the diff. Really like the Green. Cage is nice too.

Tony
                        1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

.....the downtube is two inches from the bottom of the dash and the front footplate is 1 1/4" from the bend in the floorboard.....
                          How far is it from the dash pad? How far from the windsheild frame? I'm thinkin' you'd want it as far forward as possible to reduce the number of times you whack you knees/feet on the way in and out. Your Bronco sure is looking good!

Last edited by 720Racer; 05-30-2007, 09:31 PM.
                          Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                          I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

I added new base plates to the front and made a spacer for the rear not done welding it yet
                            [IMG][/IMG]
                            [IMG][/IMG]
                            Have Truck, Trailer, and Bronco will travel

Jes L.

Comment

[QUOTE=NORK2BG]I added new base plates to the front and made a spacer for the rear not done welding it yetQUOTE]

That looks great with the welded on spacer.

Silver, I would definitely want my cage farther forward then that. Talk about a knee banger. That far back, you might be able to clear the glove bax door enough to reach in there...looks great though. I still love the green you chose...
                              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Working...
                              X