Welding on a gas tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding on a gas tank?

I want to notch my BC 24 gal. gas tank for more room to move the rear axle back a few more inches BUT, my tank has had gas in it for the last year.

Does anyone know a way to cut and weld on a tank that's had gas it without going BOOM? I'm sceered I will go
    Last edited by crawlin68; 06-04-2007, 06:28 PM.

Exploding gas tanks?
    Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
    I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

They say fill it with water and keep pouring it in Know a guy that did his that way ( weld only ) how about sawalling for cutting? then fill with water weld on high side?
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

water jet, jb weld.

Comment

sell me that tank for 5 bucks then go buy a new one thats never had gas in it. Weld away, problem solved!!!

pops
          72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
          BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
          RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

sell me that tank for 5 bucks then go buy a new one thats never had gas in it. Weld away, problem solved!!!

pops

I would love to find someone that has a new tank but hasn't installed it yet and trade them.

Comment

I have a brand new BC 24 gallon tank waiting to to go in. Just arrived last week.
              69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

How much more wheel base are you hoping to gain??

FM <><
                72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

I'd buy another tank.
                  Wait, I am cheap too.
                  I would fill it full of water, then cut the notch you need. (messy)
                  Then in an open area, Flap wheel the inside of the tank to help remove any residue that is still in there. then I would filp it on its side, pour more water in it, and weld on it.
                  Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Wash it out w/ dawn and water many times. Remove anything from inside the tank like foam, flaots, line, or whatever. When you can't smell gas anymore, wash it out again.

Make sure every vent is clear and entry port is open.

Wear long sleeves and a full mask for the first few cuts or welds. It might "breathe" a little on you. It's not going to hurt/maim/kill you. Just let it pop a couple times and burn up the last of the vapors if there are any hiding in the metal.

After that it'll have no probs and you can do whatever you want to it w/ out concern.

I've built/fixed/modded every kind of cell you can think of and the worst scenario came from a buddy that said he cleaned out his alum cell for 3 days. BS... it was still full of foam but I didn't check. It turned a 2" long crack into a 4" long crack and opened the gap an 1/8" and it was a big pop. Just blew a bunch of air at me but nothing bad.

Only time I ever did a tank w/ water in it was as a result of a time crunch. I had 2 semi truck tanks that needed to be done in a hurry. Pulled them, drained, filled w/ water and rolled them so the work area was on top and the water wasn't messing w/ the weld. That was scary though....tig welding huge tanks, lots of places for fuel to hide, and no wash time. no issues though.
                    84/55 renegade, ton's, body stretch.. 400hp atlas. burnouts and such.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rancho...a=4&ajaxpipe=1

SFS Industries (aka silly fab) for all your fabrication and parts needs

(916) 635 3485 SHOP

(916) 761 8680 CELL

The new shop is at 2225 cemo circle 95670

Comment

Originally posted by Familyman
                      How much more wheel base are you hoping to gain??

FM <><

I am thinking about 2-3 inches. That will put me at a 99 inch wheelbase. (until I move the front axle forward )

Comment

Originally posted by highlander
                        I have a brand new BC 24 gallon tank waiting to to go in. Just arrived last week.

REALLY!!?? Have I told you lately what a great guy you are?
                        Last edited by crawlin68; 06-05-2007, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Dude my gaydar just hit max. Stop now, please
                          72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                          1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

There.....I fixed it so all of you insecure guys don't get your panties in bunch.

Comment

wait why dont you just take it out and pour all the gas out and the float and just let it sit over night?? the fumes will go away and if not just drop a match in there ... its metal right?
                              {o===o}
                              EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                              Originally posted by CityHick
                              I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Working...
                              X