No announcement yet.

Welding on a gas tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, not to sidetrack the spud thread (cant spell potatoE) but as far as the tank goes the fuel vapors that may be left in the tank need oxygen to ingnite. So if you get the oxygen out it should be safe, no kaboom. Two ways I know of to get rid of the Oxygen is, 1. run a hose off the tailpipe of a running vehicle into the tank and pump in exhaust while welding or 2. get a piece of dry ice and add a little bit of water to get the C02 to release. Ok so now for my disclaimer... I have not tried it but it sure seems like it would work.

Back to the spuds...
    1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

Ok, not to sidetrack the spud thread (cant spell potatoE) but as far as the tank goes the fuel vapors that may be left in the tank need oxygen to ingnite. So if you get the oxygen out it should be safe, no kaboom. Two ways I know of to get rid of the Oxygen is, 1. run a hose off the tailpipe of a running vehicle into the tank and pump in exhaust while welding or 2. get a piece of dry ice and add a little bit of water to get the C02 to release. Ok so now for my disclaimer... I have not tried it but it sure seems like it would work.

Back to the spuds...
      I have cut open propane tanks, we rinsed them out with water and then purged them with co2 out of a bottle, nitrous would work too. On a gas tank I would open up as many holes/ports going into it as possible. Take out the sending unit that will leave a large opening. This way if it did ignite it would just throw a flame and no explosion.
      69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

i think we need to bring the TATER tallk over HERE now
        {o===o}
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
        Originally posted by CityHick
        I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68
          I would love to find someone that has a new tank but hasn't installed it yet and trade them.
          I think I recall seeing a fairly new Wild Horses tank up in the Rubicon Springs (refer to "Another Rubicon Trip thread under Trip Reports for the inside track)
          Attached Files
          Jeff Sander
          Reno, Nevada
          1968 Project Bronco
          1966 Fuel Injected Crawler

Comment

Yeah but that one has had gas in it too.

Comment

That's true, if I recall it was full of 91 octane
              Jeff Sander
              Reno, Nevada
              1968 Project Bronco
              1966 Fuel Injected Crawler

Comment

Working...
              X