Exhaust: Duals vs. 2 to 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Duals vs. 2 to 1

Ok I just dropped off the Bronco and went over with the guy some ideas of mine on either running dual flows or a single. I know this has been covered several times but I just wanted your guys opinion and any pros and cons for either.

69' Bronco
    89' Mustang 5.0
    Wildhorses Shorty headers

I tell him tomorrow what I have decided. Thanks guys. Oh yeah I am going to the Rubicon this weekend anyone going?

Kyle

I run a 2.5" single on my Windsor, and it does well for me. One of the main reasons that I went with it though was to take up less space.
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Im interested as well since I will be going from dual with a long headers and a cross over to shorty headers and 2 into 1 due to my rear link conversion. Ive heard that more torque is generated with at 2 into 1 but I dont know if its true.
      1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

Originally posted by SonicDonkey
        Im interested as well since I will be going from dual with a long headers and a cross over to shorty headers and 2 into 1 due to my rear link conversion. Ive heard that more torque is generated with at 2 into 1 but I dont know if its true.
        Theory is that with a little more back pressure it will assist in producing more torque.
        Marc D.

Comment

Im interested as well since I will be going from dual with a long headers and a cross over to shorty headers and 2 into 1 due to my rear link conversion. I've heard that more torque is generated with at 2 into 1 but I dont know if its true.
          I'm doing the exact same thing, I once had 2 into 1 and felt it had a much lower RPM power band and not much diffrent on top than the dual 2.5" that I just took off. I haven't decided on a new muffler yet, I'm not sure whether I would be better of going into a single 2.5" or 3".
          Last edited by highlander; 06-13-2007, 06:16 PM.
          69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

2 into 1 = more torque. stay with 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 tubes into a 2 1/2 muffler. 3'' is to big for a small block, you will lose hp/trq with 3''.

pops
            72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
            BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
            RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by highlander
              I'm doing the exact same thing, I once had 2 into 1 and felt it had a much lower RPM power band and not much diffrent on top than the dual 2.5" that I just took off. I haven't decided on a new muffler yet, I'm not sure whether I would be better of going into a single 2.5" or 3".
              I was looking at this muffler http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/hp2.html The thing I liked the most is the cool shell they say it has. Makes me feel better about mounting it closer to the floor or lines/electrical if necessary. I do have 2 40 series Flowmasters that I am selling though, anyone interested?
              1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

I ran dual 2.5" but gonna take the EB to my bud's shop and let him do his magic by going dual into single.

Comment

here are pics of mine... 2'' 2 into 1 2 1/2 flow (3 chamber) out over frame infront of tire...

pops
                  Last edited by TBS-POPS; 12-30-2007, 08:22 AM.
                  72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

Comment

I went with a Magnaflo wide open, and it is really loud. I only have about 1.5 feet after the muffler, but it is really loud. Did you hear that, because I didn't, I drove the bronco today.
                    Marc D.

Comment

mines quiet..... SHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                        mines quiet..... SHHHHHHHH!!!!!
                        Did you say three chamber Flowmaster?
                        Marc D.

Comment

I have been throgh the gauntlet with exhaust. With all of these combos, I always had L&L Wild Horse long tubes.

1. Single 3" Terminator, dumped right after muffler. Horrible sound. Sounded like a freaking rice racer.

2. Went with the advice of a local muffler old schooler adn installed a 2 into one 2: magna flow with a pipe all the way out the back. It was the worst I have ever heard. Pulled that off in a week.

3. Next I installed 2 LARGE SUV Delta Flow flowmasters, dumped as well, witha 2" with an H pipe. Freaking horrible sound again, Loud, tons of resonation, and more ricer barking when i hit the throttle hard. Hated that with a passion.

4. Traded those for some 2 inch 2 chamber flows and installed those in the same way, hpiped and dumped. Better sound but REALLY loud and a ton of resonation.

5. Took it back and had a 12" resonator (or glass pack) installed right before each muffler and LOVED IT!!! Deep rumble, no more rapping sound when I hit the throttle hard. It was some of the best sounding exhaust I have heard. I will install this again when I get it done in a few weeks but with my BC shorties.

No too sure why my exaust didn't sound like others did. Maybe it is was the long tubes, the EFI, or something else. Either way, I wasted some money. My shop was next to All American Muffler so I saved a little with him, but I still lost my ass. I would recommend the resonators to anybody. They really richen up the sound a lot.
                          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

did I say 3, well mabe 2, OK.. (fingers got happy) but its quiet and doesn't resonate and sounds good..
                            Last edited by TBS-POPS; 06-14-2007, 04:47 AM.

Comment

I have been throgh the gauntlet with exhaust. With all of these combos, I always had L&L Wild Horse long tubes.

1. Single 3" Terminator, dumped right after muffler. Horrible sound. Sounded like a freaking rice racer.

2. Went with the advice of a local muffler old schooler adn installed a 2 into one 2: magna flow with a pipe all the way out the back. It was the worst I have ever heard. Pulled that off in a week.

3. Next I installed 2 LARGE SUV Delta Flow flowmasters, dumped as well, witha 2" with an H pipe. Freaking horrible sound again, Loud, tons of resonation, and more ricer barking when i hit the throttle hard. Hated that with a passion.

4. Traded those for some 2 inch 2 chamber flows and installed those in the same way, hpiped and dumped. Better sound but REALLY loud and a ton of resonation.

5. Took it back and had a 12" resonator (or glass pack) installed right before each muffler and LOVED IT!!! Deep rumble, no more rapping sound when I hit the throttle hard. It was some of the best sounding exhaust I have heard. I will install this again when I get it done in a few weeks but with my BC shorties.

No too sure why my exaust didn't sound like others did. Maybe it is was the long tubes, the EFI, or something else. Either way, I wasted some money. My shop was next to All American Muffler so I saved a little with him, but I still lost my ass. I would recommend the resonators to anybody. They really richen up the sound a lot.
                              I have also played with my share of mufflers. single glass pack. I had a single terminator ran to the back, not real happy more resenaztition than rumble. took that off and ran 2" to single 2.5" into a 50 series 3 chamber flowmaster that split to dual 2" all the way out both sides, the sound was really mild but still had that tin can sound. Then I bought some WH long tube headers and and ran dual 2.5" through Borla XR-1 mufflers, I really liked the tone of these and other than taking away a little bit of right off idle it performed well. The noise was fairly mild at idle and low rpm but got loud wih higher RPM's and would just scream at wide open throttle sort of had a slight rappy sound. I am hoping to find something with a similiar tone but with less noise.
                              I have also had several exhausts on other trucks and my opinion is that all the performence chamber style mufflers sound much better behind a cat. converter or with a resonator. Without a cat or resonator the packed or packed and chambered mufflers produce a more desirable tone.
                              I have been considering the Magnaflow 4" x 14" round muffler, but that Flowmaster hushpower looks appealing too. I will have a really small space to fit a muffler with my new drivtrain and suspension.
                              Last edited by highlander; 06-14-2007, 07:36 AM.
                              69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Working...
                              X