Coilovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilovers

Anyone running coilovers in the front on here? If so can you post some pictures. I am looking for what you did on the hoop and mounting. Not really sure if I really want to cut out my inner fenders completely to create the hoop so I might just go back to the original plan of WH 5.5 coils, extreme hoop, cage arms. Any insght would be helpful.

Kyle

Kyle,

The hoops I bent up should work for coil overs with some minor modifications / bracing. I should have held them out from the frame an inch more or so. I think I'll have to cut out a small area of the inner fender, because of the positioning of the upper shock mount, but it won't be major.

Attached Files
    Last edited by 720Racer; 06-26-2007, 09:02 PM.
    Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
    I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Galen,

So you think I would be able to have someone fab up an extreme hoop basically that goes the entire hieght of the inner fender. What about for the cross support brace that goes over the engine? Do you know anyone that has coilovers with their inner fenders intact or something similar?

oh, just curious as a quick fix for my radius arm bushings where they connect to the frame, could I just slice the bushings length wise, wrap it around the radious arm, torque them down, and I am done until I can do this lift in the next month? I just really dont want to take everything apart just to take it apart again in the next month or so.

Kyle

Comment

I have the WH extreme hoops, and before I butcherd them, running a cross brace accross the motor, I'd have no problem running a coilover off it.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn
          I have the WH extreme hoops, and before I butcherd them, running a cross brace accross the motor, I'd have no problem running a coilover off it.

Excuse my ignorance here but what purpose does the cross piece serve? I've seen them on coiled vehicles and stock and it just doesn't make sense to me.

Minimal laughter would be nice too.

Jeff
          Vacaville, Ca
          67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

Just kidding. Once you go to a coilover shock, your shock hoops are holding up the entire weight of the front of your rig. You put the cross piece across the engine from one hoop to the other to keep the hoops from buckling from carrying all of the weight. Make sense?

Comment

Yep...thanks.
              Vacaville, Ca
              67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

Originally posted by seahawkfan
                Yep...thanks.

Sooooooo, are you thinking of going to coilovers in the front? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

Just thinking. Can't afford it yet. I figure I'll wait until something breaks and use that as an excuse and then have something to compare. Considering it's not running yet, that may be a while. I do have shock hoops that I can use the cross brace with though just in case.

I have 3" binder full of notes on all the mods I want to do and this is in there too.
                  Vacaville, Ca

Comment

Kyle,

My front shock hoops were the first thing I bent. There is a "learning curve", but it's not a big deal. If you want to stop by and check them out, just let me know. I don't see why you couldn't leave you inner fenders intact, except for a small hole in each side for the cross brace above the engine. I can't think of anyone with coilovers and inner fenders, but after you do yours, I can tell people about how slick your set up is!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                    I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Yup, it just needs more bracing.
                      The hoop mounts about 2' from where the coilover sits, so their is a lot of leverage placed on those mounts, spreading it to the other side keeps the hoops from bending inwards.
                      I run a brace on mine, but its really just for an engine cage to help save the intake in event of a hard roll.
                      Mark Harris
                      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
                      X