D20 input gear snap ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D20 input gear snap ring

I need the snap ring that holds the Dana 20 input gear on the shaft. I have searched all over and cannot find a constant section snap ring (eaton snap ring) in the size needed. Dose anybody know where to get one, or can I use a normal external snap ring?
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

You could use a regular snap ring as long as it sits flush with the gear. Some gears are machined down and need a spacer for the snap ring to fit flat. If your gears are stock, you should be fine with the snap ring. If you can fit 2 snap rings in the wide groove, that is what I would try first.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

The constant section ring that was on there (now broken ) measures .103" thick and the standard snap ring I have measures .093". The groove on the shaft measures .108".
      Do you think it will work that way?
      Last edited by highlander; 06-26-2007, 07:57 PM.
      69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

The movement allowed is very minimal with those measurements. The heli cut gear should have very little front to back thrust to deform the snap ring, and the really short movement should be no issue at all IMHO for the gear meshing...
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Are you talking about the one inside the adapter?
          Mark Harris
          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Are you talking about the one inside the adapter?
            It ends up inside the D20 case, but it is the one that connects the D20 input gear to the coupler shaft or output shaft of the tranny. In my case the ouput shaft of the 203.
            Last edited by highlander; 06-27-2007, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X