Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trans removal/install with engine hoist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans removal/install with engine hoist?

Starting on the NP435 swap tonight, could swear that I read something about using an engine hoist to remove and reinstall the transmission and transfer case assembly in one unit. Anyone tried this? I actually bought a transmission jack but would rather return it if possible.

Floor is already cut for hurst shifter, a little more surgery won't hurt.

best I can think of is strapping some chain or straps around the tranny then lifting it up thru the shifter hole or cuttin some other access holes and then make some cover plates for later RnR's? Both ways will have some pros and cons due to the tranny jack taking up floor space and having to work around that but same thing with the legs sticking out under the truck....

If you dont care about working around the legs and having more access around the tranny, I say take the tranny jack back and get some money back for other parts or tools you will use more than the blue moon usage of a tranny jack?

Comment

Originally posted by tortuga
      Starting on the NP435 swap tonight, could swear that I read something about using an engine hoist to remove and reinstall the transmission and transfer case assembly in one unit. Anyone tried this? I actually bought a transmission jack but would rather return it if possible.
      Floor is already cut for hurst shifter, a little more surgery won't hurt.

I have done that very thing, somewhat recently even. What I actually did was use an ATV jack to lift it up most of the way, then I dropped the hoist hook down through the tranny tunnel opening I cut (basically the entire flat surface on top of the tunnel) and picked it up the rest of the way on a chain bolted to the NP435 in two places. The D20 was hanging off the back the whole time. This worked out pretty nicely, the hoist was basically just there for "fine tuning" for the last few inches. Plus its a whole lot easier to line up with the bellhousing bolts when it's free to swing around a little.

Cutting the top of the tunnel off sounds a little drastic but after having to re-align the shift forks in the vehicle it was worth doing. Now I can unbolt the top of the tranny off any time I want without having to drop it out first. I've got a 2" BL so my new "service panel" is basically a flat piece of sheet metal with a bend to match the floor contour up front.

Wow that was a mouthful...
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

I'd seperate them. Not worth losing a finger. Plus it would be easier to line it up to the pilot bushing.
        67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
        69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
        69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
        79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
        67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Just did a test, hoisted up the NP435 with a Dana 21 attached. It balances right at the back two bolts of the top cover. Too far forward to clear the windshield with the lift. with a chain around the adapter right in front of the crossmember it tilts forward but is easy to lift up and angle side to side.

Appreciate the comment about losing a finger, that is what I am trying to avoid. With a hefty chain around it and some trial runs I think this might actually work.

Comment

It will work, didnt do it here but have seen it done. The extra available movement is worth it if you have the room
            Rick-
            68 Slightly modified
            67 LUBR once again
            61 Willy Wagon

Comment

So far so good, I "relieved" the top of my tunnel enough to make it work. After measuring things I didn't see how I was going to get the NP435 on the tranny jack and still get it under the rig anyway. Off to get a new clutch and then we'll see from there.

Comment

Working...
              X