Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NP435 swap - cut threads off output shaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NP435 swap - cut threads off output shaft?

I read everything I could find on this, but was surprised when the folks at Wild Horses told me I should cut off the threaded portion of the NP435 output shaft. This is going into a Dana 20. Anyone heard of this? Seemed like everything mated up ok.

That is what I've done. You don't need the threads, and they stop it from fitting right.

Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by regshawn
      That is what I've done. You don't need the threads, and they stop it from fitting right.
      Some do some dont, mine fit without cutting FWIW
      Rick-
      68 Slightly modified
      67 LUBR once again
      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

You are using a 2wd NP435 and the threads are the Yoke nut threads. Cut em off, and grind it smooth. Remove the speedo drive gear if it is still on.
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick
          Some do some dont, mine fit without cutting FWIW
          Rick-
          I wonder if it's a difference in adapters or trannies. We used the 1" spacer's and had to cut them. I would say to always check the fit before cutting anything.

Shawn

Comment

that is what i did with mine.. no problems with it for the past 3 years
            {o===o}
            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
            Originally posted by CityHick
            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Cut mine off ten years ago. No problems.
              1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
                You are using a 2wd NP435 and the threads are the Yoke nut threads. Cut em off, and grind it smooth. Remove the speedo drive gear if it is still on.
                Actually, I think it is a 76 F100 4WD transmission, it came with a Dana 21 attached. Still had the square pattern on the rear, though.
                Last edited by tortuga; 07-27-2007, 05:31 AM.

Comment

the spline was for a 4x4 with a divorced 205 correct???took me forever to get rid of the one i had
                  {o===o}
                  Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                  EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                  Originally posted by CityHick
                  I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Working...
                  X