Help! Diff troubles - thought I was open, have trac-lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Diff troubles - thought I was open, have trac-lock

I think I am screwed. I have been killing myself for the last 5 days trying to get ready for the Rubicon this weekend, tonight was then night to install a lock-right. I thought I had open diff, but lo and behold I have a burned up traction-lock instead.

I don't know much about these, but it looks like the clutch pack is shot and there is galling around the big thick disc-washer whatever and the clutch pack carrier with the splines.

My choices are limited by time and money. I wasn't going to do much until it is time for lower gears, 31 spline axles, etc. all at once. Now I have to either rebuild this POS or get a new carrier, which would require all new setup.

All this and be in Georgetown at 1:00 on Friday. Anyone have suggestions?

BTW, 28 spline axles right now.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tortuga; 08-14-2007, 09:30 PM.

call 4wp in the morning, see if they have a stocker carrier. If not, call Miles at Valley Differentials in stockton, or a gear shop near you. They should have an empty carrier. You will not need to re-set the gears. Both carriers are close enough. Re set your backlash and run with it...
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Do the open carriers use all the same side gears and spiders?

Comment

I would assume the spiders are exactly the same, but these are scrapped with the locker install...the new carrier may not have the center pin, I am not too sure. Why not just order a full spool and be done with it. You will be very happy with a spool even on a daily driver. I sold my locker for a spool and love it. Much more predictable and quiet...
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Have a spool in mine too and drive to the trail and back and like Carl, love it and cheap
          68 Slightly modified
          67 LUBR once again
          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Do you have spare axles? A spool with 28 spline axles will brake.
            I say put it back together as is, when more money comes in, buy a spool and a set of 31 spline axles.
            I don't know if the limited slip spider gears are the same as the open carrier gears.
            Mark Harris
            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. Talked to Miles, he has a good used carrier and the time to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by tortuga
                Thanks for the info, guys. Talked to Miles, he has a good used carrier and the time to deal with it.
                Excellant. Tell him Carl from Delta 4 Wheel Drive said howdy...

Comment

Will do. It gets even better, turns out what I thought was galling was actually a fracture. Then the lock-right turned out to have mismatched sides, so that is going back. Miles had a takeout mini spool, that is going in. Hope to get it back on the road tonight.
                  Last edited by tortuga; 08-15-2007, 01:52 PM.

Comment

We just left the clutch packs in when we added my lockright. eliminate the side gears throw the locker in and run it. Still works great, but upgrading to 31's and a spool as we speak
                    71, 302, 435, 20, spool rear, ARB front, 35's,3.5sl 2"bl
                    nodular 3rd 1350 yoke disks allaround and on the road again

Comment

Working...
                    X