Whats the easiest way to body lift in my garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the easiest way to body lift in my garage

I'm trying to install my WH's body mounts and 3" body lift in my garage, I am limited to a floor jack and a high lift. My floor jack won't go high enough to raise the tub, And quite frankly it scares the crap out of my to only have one jack on each side. Any ideas? whats the easiest way to get the old bolts loose, Delta recommended a sawzall to cut through the bushings.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

It's time I get off my Ass and get this thing rolling

Thanks Jim
    69 bronco 302 670 holley TA NV4500/Atlas 3.8 29 spl. in 32 out 4.5 bc lift 3" body D44 Locked - 9" Currie/strange with daytona PS and 1350 yoke. Warn full floater Locked 35" MTR's beadlocked 4 wheel disc most parts are still on shelf, But 1 day

Sawzall through the bushings.. do one side at a time..I did mine in the garage with just a floor jack...it shouldnt be that hard..

A
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Do one side at a time and put a block along the rocker and lift with a floor jack. If you have two people you can even lift it by hand while some one puts the spacers in. You can even put a block between the frame and tub to hold it while you are working on the bushings.

A trick that makes getting the old bushings out is once you get the bolts loose put them (or even a longer bolt) back in the hole and hammer it down, this will seperate the bushings and make them much easier to remove from the frame.
      69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Thanks for the input guys
        69 bronco 302 670 holley TA NV4500/Atlas 3.8 29 spl. in 32 out 4.5 bc lift 3" body D44 Locked - 9" Currie/strange with daytona PS and 1350 yoke. Warn full floater Locked 35" MTR's beadlocked 4 wheel disc most parts are still on shelf, But 1 day

Comment

For the front mounts, a 7/8" drill run up from the bottom after the bolt is out will make it drop right off. For the back 4, I put a very large channel lock on the top metal part and twisted it until it would separate.

I think the hi lift does a better job than a floor jack as it lifts straight up.

Comment

Keep your doors shut when you are doing it as well to keep the body from twisting and flexing. It will happen. I did mine 10 years ago and the doors were never the same.

when doing one side at a time, take one side's bolts all of the way out, and only loosen the other side. Install the new bolts and blocks, lightly tighten them, and then remove and do the other.

Definitely use a sawzall to cut the bushings off at the frame. Slice them in half, split them and be done with it. Get a long blade, it will help.
            “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

if you need another high lift, come borrow one... we have three. was real easy w/2 jacks, one on each side!!!

pops
              72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
              BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
              RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

As others have said, using a block along the rocker with a floor jack, and doing one side at a time (with the other side loose) seems to be the way to go. As Delta mentioned, keep the doors closed or find a way to brace the openings if you're doorless.

I had a couple of body bolts break when i was trying to loosen them and one didn't leave me with any material to beat on with a hammer... A big drift through the bolt hole and a BFH took care of it and separated the mount all in one fell swoop.

Having a high-lift on hand also comes in handy... It's not that hard, just take your time and think about each step you take.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Be careful and put tape over the frame holes on the 3rd ones, the ones behind the seat! If you dont you can loose your hardwear in the frame,and its a PITA to get them out!
                  73' balanced .060 302, NP435, 1"BL, 2 1/2 "pops" susp lift and more to come!!

Comment

All appreciated, I will see about borrowing Jeff's high lift and try this probably next week or so

Thanks Jim

Comment

YES IT IS A PITA.. we found that out too !!!!!!

Originally posted by firecat
                      Be careful and put tape over the frame holes on the 3rd ones, the ones behind the seat! If you dont you can loose your hardwear in the frame,and its a PITA to get them out!
                      72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

Comment

me too.... sure was pissed when that brand new nut fell down that hole.... why the hell did Ford put one there????

Comment

Don't try and unscrew any of the bolts, your wasting your time.
                          Cut every bolt out
                          Mark Harris
                          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn
                            Don't try and unscrew any of the bolts, your wasting your time.
                            Cut every bolt out
                            Aw c'mon, A good 3/4 impact takes real good care of them!!!(especially on a garage queen that has't seen dirt or mud in 10 yrs.)SORRY, couldn't resist...
                            Last edited by TBS-POPS; 08-17-2007, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X