Collecting parts for EFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting parts for EFI

Well, my idea of waiting until winter to do this conversion, and just run my carb for the summer obviously has changed........summer's almost over, and I won't be getting to my motor install for a month of two so this is a list of what I've got (IIRC) and what I think I need. Please add or suggest all you like This will be going onto my 347 stroker

What I've got

-'89-93 Mustang 5.0
    Stock upper/lower with rails sensors and 19# injectors
    -A9S computer
    -RJM Harness
    -O2 collectors
    -LP fuel pump I used for my carb

What I think I need

-stock 5.0 dizzy
    -O2 sensors (long)
    -HP fuel pump
    -Fuel accumulator/filter
    -stock fuel reg ( I have one for my carb set-up ???if it will work)
    -POSS: 24# injectors with Cobra Computer????
    -Bigger MAF????

If I need to go to bigger injectors and MAF and a diff computer....what year and out of which car?

so......what else??

Sean
    Last edited by FFMDX; 08-18-2007, 07:05 PM.
    '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

This is what I would do if I were you. Having gone through 4 different EFI set ups, I would just do it right the first time and save yourself a ton of money over the long run.

1. Mustang GT-40 lower
    2. Lightning tubular upper
    3. At least a 75 mm MAF
    4. At leat a 70 throttle body
    5. 24 lb. injectors
    6. Start with a A9P or A9L ECM and either have a custome chip burned or buy the Tweecr
    7. Get the EGR eliminator plate that goes between the upper and throttle body
    8. A good set of headers with the flanges that have the O2 bungs built in

These things along with what you already have and you be happy for long, long time time with that shinny brand 347 stroker!
    Last edited by crawlin68; 08-23-2007, 02:34 PM.

Comment

8. A good set of headers with the flanges that have the O2 bungs built in

I've got the long tube ceramic Hedman Elite's from Jet-hot and the Hedman collector/reducers with O2 bung. Should I go a diff direction?

Curious where you found all of your parts?
      Last edited by FFMDX; 08-18-2007, 10:38 PM.
      '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Your headers will be fine.

If you use the basic rule of thumb that motors will need 1/2 pound of fuel per HP, the 19 pounders will support, 19*8=152 half HP units, or enough for 304 HP/ 24 pounders are 192 half HP units, or 384 HP. You will be in the mid 300 range with your 347 which is perfect for the 24 pounders. You can get by with the 19 pounders at idle to a mid RPM, but you will hit a wall. BEsides runing an injector at it's highest output is not good on them and you will have a failure.

I agree with Pat as well on the lower intake, but the cost of the upper tubular intake won't pay for it self on our rigs. However, I am looking for one now because they are sick as hell. I have the same lower, but with the 1998 Exploder upper. If you read on the flow ratings of the intakes, it is really close to the 93 Cobra and the lightning. Definitely close for enough for us. The exploder uppers and lowers are all over corral.net

Like we said on the phone, run the stock distributor, and get the blue FMS wires from summit. They are sweet for the $$
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Your headers will work just fine for you. I got a lot of my parts from coral.net. A lot of the mustang guys take these stock parts off to replace them with go fast after market parts and sell them pretty cheap. Just watch the classified ads. Also watch nloc.net if you want to find a tubular upper.

Comment

Originally posted by FFMDX
            Well, my idea of waiting until winter to do this conversion, and just run my carb for the summer obviously has changed...
            Funny how that happens isn't it?

You've got me thinking that maybe I should start looking for pieces too. I would need a different lower plenum for my 351w but the rest should be comparable.

Hook a bronco brother up if you find a good deal in your searches!

[end hijack]
            Tony
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick

I would need a different lower plenum for my 351w but the rest should be comparable.

Tony
              Which lower will work with the 351's ?
              Damn it.... not again!!!!

Comment

So what's a "good" price on the 75 mm MAF and TB...Injectors......There are a bunch out there, but my pocket is a little tight!

Sean

Comment

sweet thread. bookmarked.. lol
                  (o==o)

Comment

Originally posted by dirtboy488
                    I don't want to hijack this thread too much but I believe there were Lightning pickups from the mid-90s that had a 351w with the kind of injection everbody else runs on 302-based engines.
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by dirtboy488

I don't want to hijack this thread too much but I believe there were Lightning pickups from the mid-90s that had a 351w with the kind of injection everbody else runs on 302-based engines.
                      Any 351 car or lightning truck lower will work woth the GT-40, Cobra, and tubular upper.
                      69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

I'm using a FMS cobra intake, the performence diffrence between that and the the tubular is minimul. But the tubular intakes do look much better and if I could have found one for a reasonanble price I would have bought one.
                        I went with 30# injectors, but I think 24# would be plenty big and are easier to find used.
                        69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

What year should I be looking for on the GT40 intake? (Exploder right?) as well as the upper? I'm assuming the Cobra stuff is '89 -'93??

Comment

What year should I be looking for on the GT40 intake? (Exploder right?) as well as the upper? I'm assuming the Cobra stuff is '89 -'93??
                            Exploders had V8's from '96 or 97 (1/2 year IIRC) to '01, and the "P" heads from '98 to '01. I'm not sure if the GT40 intakes came on engines w/o the "P" heads, but from '98 up should be safe.

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                            I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick
                              Funny how that happens isn't it?

You've got me thinking that maybe I should start looking for pieces too. I would need a different lower plenum for my 351w but the rest should be comparable.

Hook a bronco brother up if you find a good deal in your searches!

[end hijack]
                              Tony

THIS is a pretty good deal! (now this is the end of the high jack)

Comment

Working...
                              X