Lift block + anti-wrap thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift block + anti-wrap thoughts

I have always accepted the idea that lift blocks are bad on a 4wd. I also like to keep my springs as flat as possible, probably a holdover from my landcruiser days. Low arch means the springs can twist easier for articulation and they seem to ride smoother. On a bronco those two ideas don't necessarily get along. We have to go to more arch to get the lift.

The suspension I have now is around 2-1/2 inches of lift - not sure what it is, PO didn't know either. The springs seem to work OK. Just want a little more to get me to a full 3 1/2 or 4" lift. I am also getting ready to build an anti-wrap system, either a wrap-trap style or a full ladder with front shackle.

That got me thinking - with an effective anti-wrap system in place that takes care of the twisting force at the center of the housing, most of the forces that would squirt a block out are out of play. A short block of an inch or two, along with new front coils, would get me the lift I want with minimal cost and install time.

Somebody tell me why this is a bad idea. I feel like I am missing something obvious.

I run 2" blocks in the rear. Before I had my wrap trap I had a little wrap but manageable with my 40's. I also run a 2 inch block under my front bottom coil pads for an added 2 inches. No issues there ever as well. You are obviously better off getting by with no blocks, but doing it up to 2 inches is not that big of an issue.

I have a WH wrap trap I took off for cheap if you want it.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Another cheap option is to get some 70's Ford F150 springs and (2.5inches wide) and do a shackle flip.
      Mark Harris
      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

2" blocks and a Sams Style bar on mine. I did this a couple years ago after my newish leafs sagged flat. I was determined to link it before I ever bought another set of leafs. It's still working so that plan is on hold.
        That's another nice thing about flat leafs,they don't sag much!

Comment

Working...
        X