Dumb ques....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb ques....

Sorry for the remedial ques, but........For installing a water pump, would using the std gaskets w/out sealer be a prob, or should I use some "Right Stuff" sealant.

I'm a little Dain Bread at the moment
    '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

When I was young (and a little more stupid than I am now) I used to think I could engineer anything better than what ever came before me. I ignored the old schoolers saying
    "if they put it in there, they must need it for a reason"
    Learned even more reverse engineering Japanees designs..most especially...if they dont need it to be there, it ain't there...everything is there for a reason.
    gaskets go way back but what they really are is a firm clamped barrier to allow sealing on two sides so you can get it off then scrape the surfaces. If the design has allowance for height build up on the gasket, make sure it is there. Water pump not that big a deal but head gaskets...different story.
    Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Well, self "study" kinda pays off....Found a little piece of paper, something called "instructions"......I, know, I was just as shocked as everyone else, but "they" reccommended using sealant. So went to intsall, and somehow, a little gremlin tore one of my gaskets Off to Kragen I go, and put off for another day.....
      '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Originally posted by FFMDX
        Well, self "study" kinda pays off....Found a little piece of paper, something called "instructions"......I, know, I was just as shocked as everyone else, but "they" reccommended using sealant. So went to intsall, and somehow, a little gremlin tore one of my gaskets Off to Kragen I go, and put off for another day.....
        Instructions are just someone else's opinion of the way things should be done. I've always felt that experience is the best teacher. That being said; It has often been my experience that following the instructions makes for a quicker more complete project with fewer set backs. After all what the heck does the guy that designed the thing know about it?

Brad
        Brad
        Chico, Ca.

Comment

Use a Permatex type sealant (the brown stuff) not any kind of silicone sealant. silicone not good around pressurized water.

pops
          72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
          BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
          RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            Use a Permatex type sealant (the brown stuff) not any kind of silicone sealant. silicone not good around pressurized water.

pops

Is the "Right Stuff" OK? Having a h#lluva time finding the correct pump-to-plate gasket.....Anyone got any ideas? All I can find are the gaskets that are a mirror image of the pump vanes, and not the "perimiter" only type...

Comment

Originally posted by Formerjughead
              Instructions are just someone else's opinion of the way things should be done. I've always felt that experience is the best teacher. That being said; It has often been my experience that following the instructions makes for a quicker more complete project with fewer set backs. After all what the heck does the guy that designed the thing know about it?

Brad
              The prob with instructions, is that when I'm done, I never have any surplus nuts and bolts to add to my supply box!

Comment

Originally posted by FFMDX
                Is the "Right Stuff" OK? Having a h#lluva time finding the correct pump-to-plate gasket.....Anyone got any ideas? All I can find are the gaskets that are a mirror image of the pump vanes, and not the "perimiter" only type...
                if the gasket only has a tear, use it anyway, and lightly coat both sides with right stuff and install it. If it is completely gone, just use a slightly thicker layer of right stuff...
                “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Crap, went out in the trash last PM. OOOOOH! the Right Stuff!

Comment

use the instructions to cut yourself a new gasket! coat liberally with "the right stuff"..
                    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                        use the instructions to cut yourself a new gasket! coat liberally with "the right stuff"..
                        Touche
                        Brad
                        Chico, Ca.

Comment

Working...
                        X