3 speed to Auto conversion problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 speed to Auto conversion problem

*** Bare with my, I've got an awesome cold and I'm all high on cold medicine haha

So I got all my parts together, and test fit the dana 20 that came off the original 3 speed to my C4. My problem is, I have the tranny, with the adapter housing, and am using the dana 20 with the original (speed) coupler from the tranny to the t-case input. When I press em together, I have a good 1/2 to 1/4 of an inch of a gap. And I believe it's because the coupler isn't seating all the way.

Is this the way it's supposed to go? Or is there a different coupler that I didn't get with my transmission? Can I cut 1/2" to 5/8" off the coupler on the transmission side?
    Last edited by GloNDark2; 09-25-2007, 05:32 PM.
    1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Originally posted by GloNDark2 View Post
    *** Bare with my, I've got an awesome cold and I'm all high on cold medicine haha

So I got all my parts together, and test fit the dana 20 that came off the original 3 speed to my C4. My problem is, I have the tranny, with the adapter housing, and am using the dana 20 with the original (speed) coupler from the tranny to the t-case input. When I press em together, I have a good 1/2 to 1/4 of an inch of a gap. And I believe it's because the coupler isn't seating all the way.

Is this the way it's supposed to go? Or is there a different coupler that I didn't get with my transmission? Can I cut 1/2" to 5/8" off the coupler on the transmission side?
    The C4 spudshaft is shorter than the 3-speed spudshaft. I have heard that you can cut 3/8" off the 3-speed spud shaft and it will work, but have never done it or seen first hand that it works. Make sure the bearing retainer in the intermediate housing has a o-ring on it.
    Last edited by highlander; 09-25-2007, 06:54 PM.
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
      The C4 spudshaft is shorter than the 3-speed spudshaft. I have heard that you can cut 3/8" off the 3-speed spud shaft and it will work, but have never done it or seen first hand that it works. Make sure the bearing retainer in the intermediate housing has a o-ring on it.
      Meaning the bearing retainer already inside the adapter correct?

I figure what I have got to lose, I'm gonna cut the sucker off and try it out.
      1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Originally posted by GloNDark2 View Post
        Meaning the bearing retainer already inside the adapter correct?

I figure what I have got to lose, I'm gonna cut the sucker off and try it out.
        On the 3-speed adapter it is built in, on the C4 adapter the retainer is a separate piece. The retainer usually stays on the spud shaft (held on with a snap ring) when you take it apart and typically stays in the transfer-case unlike a the 3-speed. That is why I was making sure you have it. Here is a basic tech article for the swap:
        http://www.bronco.com/cms/node/61
        If you snap a picture of what you have I could explain it better. The 3-speed spud shafts are only like $20 so cut away, the c4 spud shafts are about $60. Are you using a used C4 intermediate housing or a new adapter?
        Last edited by highlander; 09-25-2007, 08:10 PM.
        69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

On the 3-speed adapter it is built in, on the C4 adapter the retainer is a separate piece. The retainer usually stays on the spud shaft (held on with a snap ring) when you take it apart and typically stays in the transfer-case unlike a the 3-speed. That is why I was making sure you have it. Here is a basic tech article for the swap:
          http://www.bronco.com/cms/node/61
          If you snap a picture of what you have I could explain it better. The 3-speed spud shafts are only like $20 so cut away, the c4 spud shafts are about $60. Are you using a used C4 intermediate housing or a new adapter?

I think I found part of my problem (besides the cold medicine and wrenching) I don't have the bearing retainer on the C4 intermediate housing. It's a stock ford piece, but the bearing retainer is gone, so i'm screwed as far as that is concerned. I'll snap a pick tonight when I get home and post it.

Comment

You can get the C4 bearing retainer here: http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-17
            I would also get the bearing retainer seal and o-ring.
            If you want it sooner you may try calling WH and see if they have them, there site doesn't list them but you never know what they have laying around. Or maybe even Dusty at WCB.
            Last edited by highlander; 09-26-2007, 02:57 PM.

Comment

You can get the C4 bearing retainer here: http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-17
              I would also get the bearing retainer seal and o-ring.
              If you want it sooner you may try calling WH and see if they have them, there site doesn't list them but you never know what they have laying around. Or maybe even Dusty at WCB.
              You're the man, thanks for you help. And for the leads on the parts. I've never been a Ford parts guy, Every wheeler/crawler i've built so far has been Chevy drivetrain, so i've got a long road ahead of me.

Comment

Working...
              X