Help identify this 9" yoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identify this 9" yoke

Bought a 3d, has a yoke on it that is much larger than what I had previously. It is longer from the dust shield to the flats on the yoke, and the bolt holes are farther apart than the u-bolts on the old yoke. Anyone know how to ID it?

Changed from a 28 spline SB to a BB housing , bought the 3d separately for what that is worth. I am thinking the old one was a 1310, this is a 1350?

Wish I knew jack about Fords.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tortuga; 09-26-2007, 06:43 PM.

I guess the right question would be, should I just take the yoke off my old 3d and put it on this one.

Comment

could be the difference between 1310 and 1350s etc.

Comment

or even a 1410.. Yup take your old yoke off and switch..

A
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Maybe you could ask the PO. Looks like it has an ARB in it. Nice.
          Marc D.
          If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

If you can get a good cap diameter (yoke seat) I could find out. Its hard to tell from the pics but it doesnt quite look to be as big as a 1350 so maybe it is a 1330??? If it is, the good news is there is a combo U-joint 1310/1330 that would adapt everything if your DS is 1310.

As far as swaping the yoke goes the 9" Ford uses a crush sleeve on the pinion to set bearing preload. When installing the pinion you set the pinion to 10??? in/lbs rotating resistance, then the depth is set with shims under the pinion support (5 bolt housing on the front). If you swap yokes and overtighten the yoke back on the pinion it will crush the sleeve more and change the pinion depth. I found this out the hard way a long time ago after breaking a yoke at Bassie Falls. It destroyed the gear and carrier about 500 miles after the change.

There is a chance however that a solid crush sleeve was installed but not likely, and if I recall correctly you cannot see the sleeve without pulling the pinion support out.

Hope that helps
            1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

Sounds like I am heading back to Valley Differentials with another box of parts for Miles to sort out.

Comment

1330 is the same cap diamter as 1310 but they're farther apart. 1350 caps are the same distance apart as 1330 but the caps are bigger. I don't know the measurements but this relational info may help you ID it. The exact measurements are on the web, consult the oracle (google). From the pics that looks like a BFY (Big F'n Yoke!). My guess is its a 1350. I'll take it if you don't want it

Dusty

Comment

My 1350 measures roughly 3 1/4" center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole width and almost an 1 3/4 across the straps. Looks like a 1350 to me.
                  71, 302, 435, 20, spool rear, ARB front, 35's,3.5sl 2"bl
                  nodular 3rd 1350 yoke disks allaround and on the road again

Comment

I did a little research and here is the u-joint info
                    1310= 1 1/16 cap dia, 3.25 outside cap to cap
                    1330= 1 1/16 cap dia (vary rare Ford 1 1/8 cap dia), 3 5/8 outside cap to cap
                    1350= 1 3/16 cap dia,3 5/8 outside cap to cap (same as 1330)

Good luck!
                    1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

That looks like my 1330 daytona pinion yoke, I have the pinion support as well. This makes 2 daytona yokes that I've seen lately. Brian that is the same yoke that was on the 3rd from the housing I sold you
                      69 bronco 302 670 holley TA NV4500/Atlas 3.8 29 spl. in 32 out 4.5 bc lift 3" body D44 Locked - 9" Currie/strange with daytona PS and 1350 yoke. Warn full floater Locked 35" MTR's beadlocked 4 wheel disc most parts are still on shelf, But 1 day

Comment

Yup!
                        See if your 1310 cap fits in the yoke, but is to narrow.
                        9 out 10 its a 1330 yoke as that was the normal on fullsize trucks/broncos.
                        If its a 1330, I put a 1310, or 1350 on it.
                        1330 is odd sized, weaker then both and has little angle.
                        Mark Harris
                        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I got it to Valley Diff today and Miles swapped the yokes from my old third to the new one. I'll ID this one with the info you provided.

Comment

Working...
                          X