FAWK!&@^#%#! wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAWK!&@^#%#! wheel bearings

Last time a repacked them was when my motor was out... (down time) everything was running fine until today.

I heard a SCREEEEEETCH coming from my drivers side front wheel... so i thought it was the brakes.. they are 3 years old... nope turns out my wheel bearing is DESTROYED! (outer) and i cant take off my drum. I can get my pass side off (and it was nice and clean inside) but the drivers side will not come off... I think that the bearing go so hot it warped it and will not slide off.

I have tried a BFH, WD40, Heat, a big old pry bar behind the drum, putting my tires and rim on the drum and using it as a puller ( bad idea )and most importantly TIME and with no results.

anyone have a better way then what i have done?? if not i guess before work i am just going to go back to yanking and pulling the drum.

So it is OFFICIAL
    Ford Stands for :
    F ix
    O r
    R epair
    D aily
    Last edited by 71BRONCO71; 09-27-2007, 07:34 PM.
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Just take the axle off and install a 60
    67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
    69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
    69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
    79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
    67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Use a Air Chisel/hammer.. Cut or pound off the bearing..
      Aaron
      KK6DAD
      70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by 69crawler View Post
        Just take the axle off and install a 60
        might as well just go the distance with a 609. then a doubler.. well then after that i have to through on some 38's, cut the rockers, then ill need more power so a 347 cobra.. another 609 in the rear, cut, hack, bend, build, weld...... DAM I WISH I WAS STEVE JOBS/BILL GATES
        {o===o}
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

take a grinder and cut the hub in half, from about the lug nuts out, here's a pic
          Attached Files
          71'Bronco 5.8efi, ZF5, Atlas 5:1, ARB 44,CTM,s & Warns, Stage 8, 9" 4.88 detroit, disc, 31 spline Dutchmans, 1350 yoke, Duff arms WH coils, Deaver rear "Full ground up in the works"

05 Dodge CTD 4x4 6spd
          "everyone elses tow rig for the time being"

Comment

The bearing probably fused itself onto the spindle. If you can get in there try and cut the cage of the bearing. If you can manage that the rollor bearing might come out then slide the drum assem. over it.
            67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
            69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
            69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
            79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
            67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

ohh its the outer... take the knuckle off and press it apart.. you need to find you local machine shops.
              A
              KK6DAD
              70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by wcoast4x View Post
                take a grinder and cut the hub in half, from about the lug nuts out, here's a pic
                Thats going to be a lst resort... where can you find a drum with a hub assembly attached?? or is it two pieces?

Originally posted by Daddy4zack View Post
                ohh its the outer... take the knuckle off and press it apart.. you need to find you local machine shops.
                A
                can i use a big vise?? now to take off the knuckle just take all the brakes apart then unbolt the tie rods and backing plate.

i hate broken stuff. Now heres the odd thing.. i can get the drum off about 1/8 of an inch then after that it will not move. so i am just going to spend all day tomorrow yanking it off.

well this looks like the weekend to rebuild my front end if i take off the knuckle...... pay day is tomorrow!
                {o===o}

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4zack View Post
                  A
                  You can't get the knuckle off without getting the axle out, which means both the spindle and hub need to come off.

If your certain the brakes are backed off, bolt up a old wheel or even a piece of medal to the wheel studs and beat away with a BFH. If it is still stuck cut the hole hub off it is probably shot anyway. Might be a good time to upgrade to front disc brakes.
                  69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

heres my biggest question yet??? can you do the Chebby disks w/o power brake booster?? i dont have 3-4 hundos laying around
                    {o===o}

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                      heres my biggest question yet??? can you do the Chebby disks w/o power brake booster?? i dont have 3-4 hundos laying around
                      Yes you can, the discs will require slightly more pedal force than the drums but it will work and stop.
                      69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

I had that setup on my bronco and it worked fine.
                        Damn it.... not again!!!!

Comment

DAM I WISH I WAS STEVE JOBS/BILL GATES
                          I doubt those guys even know what 4-wheeling is...
                          Keep us posted with the direction you choose to pursue, I may have a couple o' spare parts to get you rolling towards the chebby disk conversion, that I would part with cheaply. I'll have to sort through my junk pile again (its bad when you can't remember what all is in your own garage) but I seem to remember a box of axle/brake parts coming with my D44...
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

If you go with the discs, I have an old-style (different from the one they sell now) proportioning valve from wild horses you can have. Never used.

Comment

Now heres the odd thing.. i can get the drum off about 1/8 of an inch then after that it will not move. so i am just going to spend all day tomorrow yanking it off.
                              Did the bearing frag? It's been a while since I had my hubs apart, but You may have some bits and pieces keeping the drum from coming off.

Comment

Working...
                              X