Automatic Trani and a lurch when I start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Trani and a lurch when I start

I have a 1973 Explorer, AT, I just bought it and when driving it around, sometimes it seems to lurch on the initial start up. Take the foot off the brake, press the gas, it moves about an inch, then the rear kind of drops and you feel a lurch, and then all is ok.

It does not do it all the time, only sometimes, I have not been able to figure out what it is that I causes it to happen.

I would value any ideas on how to chase this down.

Thanks

Jim

Welcome to the site first of all...

Second, your tranny is definitely not normal. It could be a slipping band or some funky clutches inside.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Another orange EB!!! You're in good company here, welcome.

There might be some slop in your driveline and/or suspension somewhere too. Seeing that you just got your rig, make sure stuff's good and tight because EB rear axles like to wrap.

Tony
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

ALL HAIL ORANGE BRONCOS!!!! Welcome aboard

now my buddy had this problem... turned out to be the dam linkage. had to rebuild it and get a new nuetral safty switch...
        dam those chebbys adn boy did it need some TLC

So my guess is that it is not fully in Park.. maybe??
        Last edited by 71BRONCO71; 10-18-2007, 11:23 AM.
        {o===o}
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
        Originally posted by CityHick
        I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

thanks for all the welcoming,

How do I tell if it is "wrap" is there an easy way? since it only happens once in a while, would it still make sense?

I will jack up the rear and wiggle stuff around and look for anything loose.

thanks again

Jim

Comment

Does it only happen after backing up or after stopping quickly? If so the axle may be shifting on the spring. Look around the perches and make sure the leaf spring bolts are still intact and in the holes in the perches.
            My first bronco was a orange 73 explorer with a C4. I still have some parts from it on my current orange bronco. Welcome to the board.
            Last edited by highlander; 10-18-2007, 04:14 PM.
            69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Welcome aboard...even if you have an Orange Bronco. Check to see if your rear brake shoes are jammed up after a stop. Somtimes with allot of neglect, worn backing plates, and rust, they will stick.
              Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Check for loose u-bolts, broken spring etc. I would start with a general inspection of the drive train. I'm sure you'll find something broken or loose.. MOTOR MOUNTS!!!!Check them!!

POPS BTW Welcome!!
                72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

I too have a 73 explorer that came with a C4. It's orange. Welcome to the board.

Comment

Thought I would post an update on this, I still have not sorted it out entirely, but I have checked and nothing is loose. I have narrowed down when it does it, under heavy braking, if I keep my foot on the brakes it kind of locks up in a rear end raised position. When I let off the gas it drops. I lubed up with wd40 the shackles and it seems to have softened the drop a lot, so I am thinking it is binding up in there.

I keep reading about Shackle flips, is this one in the picture flipped or not?

http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/a...9&d=1192405076

not my truck but mine look like that....

Comment

Yes, that is a flipped shackel..
                      72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

Comment

what does a non fliped shackle look like?...never mind, found a picture, mine are flipped for sure,

Jim
                        Last edited by Orange73; 11-21-2007, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I wonder if the PO flipped them BUT put them in the wrong spot so the shakle is overcentering when stopping when the body rises then releases when you get on the gas... hummmmmm

Comment

not sure what overcentering is....

well, this shows you how good my memory is, I went out to look to be sure and mine are not flipped, so that's not it.

Jim
                            Last edited by Orange73; 11-21-2007, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Nevermind, keep lubeing

Comment

Working...
                              X