Carbureted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbureted?

Just wondering how many carbureted 302's are out there? or any Carbed motor for that matter? What carb you running and are you happy with it?
    Thanks jack
    73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

I'm carbed. Its a holley 2 barrel from a 1960 Ford Galaxie 500. It's on top of my 351w. It ran great while I was using the bronco.

Many guys on here have gone to EFI. They think it runs better.

It does.

Comment

I have EFI now, but have used a Motorcraft 2bbl (stock), a Holley 2bbl, and a Edelbrock 600cfm 4bbl.
      The Motorcraft always ran well until it gave out. I replaced it with the Holley and it never ran good, but always ran unless it was off camber. When I rebuilt the motor I upgraded to the 4bbl, I put the Performer cam, intake, and carb all on as one package plus some flat top pistons (about 9.5:1 compression,) With this package the power was a night and day difference and the MPG actually increased. The Edelbrock worked perfectly for everything but off camber wheeling it ran really ruff but still ran, unlike the Holley. All of these ran rich at high elevations.
      If I were to buy a carb today I would go with either a Quadrajet or a Holley Truck Avenger. If you don't need or want a 4bbl the Motorcraft 2bbl works really well.
      69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

My motor is a 30 over 302 with forged flat tops,Balanced,351w heads with some grinding. Cam is not huge about 460 lift, I can't remember. Motor has maybe 5000 miles but has sat close to 10 years but started every once in a while. I have a 780 Vac sec. on it now but would like to try something else. I would love to try a 600 dp.
        Thanks jack
        73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

2bbl Motorcraft here.. 70's F-250 W/390. $89.00 Someday I'll get to EFI.. But if "Helbnd1" can run everywhere he does being Carburated. why change???

A
          Attached Files
          KK6DAD
          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

470 cfm Holley TA carb here
            {o===o}
            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
            Originally posted by CityHick
            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I have a 4bbrl edelbrock on my 302. Had some issues with starving the motor on hills. I just recently put on a fuel pressure regulator, but have not had the chance to see if it helped yet.
              302, edelbrock heads, roller rockers, intake, sanderson shorty headers,

Comment

Holley 470 Truck Avenger...........before that I had the Holley 1850-s......

Carbs are good
                Brad
                Chico, Ca.

Comment

I have a holley 670 truck avenger on my 302. It s been bored .60 over and has a big cam. I haven't had any problems with it.
                  sigpic1973 Bronco Sport-306,670TA, PS, PB, 4 whl disc brakes, C4, D20 Twin sticked, 5.5 BC coils, Cage Arms, Cage shock hoops, Cage shocks, 37" Irok's,Allied Beadlocks, Family Cage, Duff 4 link, 102" wheel base, full width axles

Comment

I ran the Holley TA 670 on my very stock 302. Drove it to the 'Con and back and loved it. The thing fired right up after I killed it going up a ledge. Never sputtered off camber either.
                    '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

I run a Quadrajet, and love it. I can be laying on my side, with no oil pressure, and it will still run. My 351W is built a little, and will out run an 04 2WD F-150 to 70mph. I'm also running 36's with 3.50 gears. The Q-jet can also get you good milage if you can stay out of the secondaries. The primaries are pretty small, and the secondaries are huge. I do have to run a high volume low pressure fuel pump to keep up since the fuel bowl is so small.
                      Marc D.
                      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I'm pretty boring- I'm running a stock motorcraft 2 barrel on a balanced 60 over 302 and havent had any problems- with the carb!
                        73' balanced .060 302, NP435, 1"BL, 2 1/2 "pops" susp lift and more to come!!

Comment

I'm running the factory motorcraft 2bbl. I haven't taken mine off road yet so I have no idea how it is off road. I did have one on my 304 powered 76 cj-7 and it ran great on the off camber stuff. I then put in a built up 360 with a 4bbl Edlebrock and it ran like poop in the off camber stuff. I then put in spring loaded needle valves and seats and promptly rolled my jeep testing them out. The jeep is still in my side yard waiting for a body. I doubt this helped, but I hoped my misery was somebodies entertainment.
                          77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
                            I run a Quadrajet, and love it. I can be laying on my side, with no oil pressure, and it will still run. My 351W is built a little, and will out run an 04 2WD F-150 to 70mph. I'm also running 36's with 3.50 gears. The Q-jet can also get you good milage if you can stay out of the secondaries. The primaries are pretty small, and the secondaries are huge. I do have to run a high volume low pressure fuel pump to keep up since the fuel bowl is so small.

This is what I like to hear... When we were standing around outside of Blwngsket's house talking Bronco several months ago you basically had me sold on the Q-Jet (less the laying on my side part). A buddy gave me a Q-Jet that he ran on his chevy powered FJ40 for many years and it always performed great on the trails. Now if I could just finish my never ending body work I'd be able to give a Quadrajet performance report of my own...
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

I've run the motorcraft and have had a q-jet for the last 6yrs, both run well on their side and at close to 90*. I think I'll keep the q-jet till it dies and rebuild another after.
                              70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

Working...
                              X