Q for Delta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q for Delta

I noticed what looks like an ididit steering column on the green EB that you are/were building. This is the same column that I have. What or how did you mount the lower part of the steering column at the fire wall with? Did you reuse the stock "V" pattern plate with the 3 bolts in it to craddle the coulmn? If so, what did you clamp it with? Thanks.

Yah, I used the stock cradle. I used a stainless hose clamp to hold it. Cheesy but it works. Underneath the dash, I made a bracket that lookes like the stock and welded it to the column. THis is critical...if you f this up, the colum wont come out in the center of the bezel....if you are running the stock one. If not, you can built around the column.

I think we discussed this before, but I used the flaming river shaft....double d on the coulumn side, and f150 on the other. I had to cut both ends of the shaft to fit the longer ididt column, as well as use a die grinder to cut the groove for the grease fitting...

Let me know if you need pics...of everything but under the dash...it's there to stay
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
      Yah, I used the stock cradle. I used a stainless hose clamp to hold it. Cheesy but it works. Underneath the dash, I made a bracket that lookes like the stock and welded it to the column. THis is critical...if you f this up, the colum wont come out in the center of the bezel....if you are running the stock one. If not, you can built around the column.

I think we discussed this before, but I used the flaming river shaft....double d on the coulumn side, and f150 on the other. I had to cut both ends of the shaft to fit the longer ididt column, as well as use a die grinder to cut the groove for the grease fitting...

Let me know if you need pics...of everything but under the dash...it's there to stay

Yeah some pics would be great. I've got the lower shaft all dialed in. I took your advice and just bought the flaming river slip shaft and u-joints for the top and bottom.

My column came with a real nice aluminum bracket for the upper column mount. Where the column bolts to the underside of the dash, right behind the bezel. I just couldn't figure out how to clamp the lower end of the column to the stock bracket in the engine compartment. The only thing that I could think of to use was the ol' hose clamp, but that seemed kind of Okie. I don't see why it wouldn't work though. I called BC to see what they recommend, but no tech people around to ask until tomorrow. Do they make a new rubber boot that fits the 2 inch column? I would assume that someone must make one.

Comment

The rubber boot fits fine when you clamp it down. GO to a Rubber supply company and get the hose clamps that have a nylock bolt. The clamps are solid stainless and are super trick...about 3 bucks each. I got mine at Delta Rubber Supply. I have one for you but it is in storage with the rest of my shop...
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
          The rubber boot fits fine when you clamp it down. GO to a Rubber supply company and get the hose clamps that have a nylock bolt. The clamps are solid stainless and are super trick...about 3 bucks each. I got mine at Delta Rubber Supply. I have one for you but it is in storage with the rest of my shop...

WELL GO GET IT!!! (just kidding) My stock boot is wasted, so I need a new one anyway. I've got a good industrial rubber hose shop local here, so I'll pay them a visit and see if they have that type of clamp. I can't imagine that they won't. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X