rear leafspring vs.coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear leafspring vs.coil

I'm having a hard time deciding what to use in the rear, coil or leafsprings.I'm looking for any input and what coils would be a good cadidate to use for the rear?
    Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

love our rear coils.

WH 5.5" fronts all the way around.

Comment

Damn that's a nice rig. never get used to seeing it...

I love rear coils. If you have the fab skills go for it. Whether it be raduis arms+track bar/ 3 link +track bar/ or four link..build it right and beefy. IF not, leafs are bullet proof and have tons af travel if done right!!

Here is an example of leafs working right.
      Attached Files
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Would front coils in the rear be too heavily weight rated?Since there is not all that much weight in the rear, seems like they would be stiff. If I keep the leafspring whats the best way to fab a traction bar? I'm worried about wheel hop.
        Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

Comment

That pic of JSlaters rig is actually one of my rotating desktop pics. NEVER get tired of it, hell its the reason I bumped up to 38.5s.

Now to find the recipe him and Delta concoted to develop that kinda flex. Got it somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomEB
            That pic of JSlaters rig is actually one of my rotating desktop pics. NEVER get tired of it, hell its the reason I bumped up to 38.5s.

Now to find the recipe him and Delta concoted to develop that kinda flex. Got it somewhere.

Ya Delta Got it somewhere?? I'll be the next ginney pig!! My front doesn't flex for shit.
            Aaron
            KK6DAD
            70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Heres the PM I got from Jay himself on Pirate way back when, I knew it would always come in handy. Hope he dont mind.

Originally Posted by jslater
              There is nothing special about my setup. Here is the list: 5.5" WH coils, National 3" leaf springs, 2" blocks, 2" body lift, home brew extended radius arms, home brew inboard rear shock mounts. That's it!

I have almost the exact same setup but stupidlift leafs and just a wristed arm up front.
              Doing the inboard shocks after the cage. The other thing I will be doing is extending my wristed arm, I regret doing the rear drop bracket. I have heard this will give me too much flex up front that I wont find shocks long enough, yeah well thats what limiting straps are for. Reason for getting rid of the drop brackets more falls in my wish for a flatter belly pan.

Comment

Also replacing them shitty leafs, vote for?

-Cage
                -BC
                -WH
                -Duff

and which vendor is using Deavers or Nationals, I know BC was nationals but....

Comment

If BC still sells Deaver, that is my vote...
                  “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Phantom, what lift on the leafs are looking to get? I'm going 4.5 out back soon and will have 3.5 11 pack Nationals FS

Now back to Coils vs Leafs....
                    68 Slightly modified
                    67 LUBR once again
                    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

I have 3.5" Deaver coils up front. I believe West Coast Broncos sold them to me. I got them off Ebay. They are tons softer then the old trail master coils I had.
                      1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

I recommend not using Jeep TJ coils on the rear. They are way to soft. Great ride on the road, but the rear will flex completely out, and then the front will start to move. I tried an old set of WH coils in the back the other day, and they seemed to stiff. They did make the front flex, but it was pretty much the oposite of before. I'm still searching for the right setup, and in the process, I'm thinking of going to coil overs. I would not recommend the radius arms for the rear. They work ok, but they have inherant wheel hop when you get the tires spinning, and it is high on the rear jacking factor.
                        Just my .02.
                        http://www.broncofix.com/viewtopic.p...er=asc&start=0

http://www.broncofix.com/board/viewt...?p=15876#15876

Also, two things I would, and did different. The triangulation in the upper link in those pics sucked, so I fixed that, and I'm still planning on using rod ends on the front of the lower arms. I go through the radius arm bushings pretty quickly. Other than that, it definately took care of my axle wrap troubles, and took care of moving the rear back three inches when I built it.
                        Marc D.
                        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Thanks KWS, I am running 38.5s so insist on 5.5s for my replacements.

Comment

I'm going to try Wagoneer springs in the rear of mine as my 6" Alcans are too stiff due to the arch and the lack of weight on the rear of the Bronco. Wagoneers look perfect on paper having a 26" to front pin length and a 31" rear length meaning the stock front spring mount will work perfectly. Add a shackle flip with 1/2 ton Chevy truck drop shackles (6.5" long compared to stock 4") and you could have a 5.5" lift for under $100.

I'll do a write up on Classic Broncos or maybe here when I get around to doing it.
                            Last edited by FordFascist; 10-21-2005, 06:23 PM.
                            '70 Bronco - 408 Stroker, ZF S5-42, hydroboost, 4-wheel discs, long arms, Detroit rear, 35s

'45 Ford GPW - 351W, T18/Dana18, Waggy 44's, Hydroboost, 4 wheel discs...in progress

'84 Toyota - 4x4 parts getter!

Comment

I am planning to use my 5.5 wild horses coils in the rear with radius arms extended 9.5 inches from Bent and Twisted. Also extended and wristed arm(s) in the front with 14 SAW coilovers. If anyone has any input good or bad...please let me know before I start it.

Here is a pic of my jeep with extended radius arms in the rear. It was built by Mike Ladd of Bent and Twisted
                              Last edited by brocbronc; 10-19-2005, 08:23 PM.
                              69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

Working...
                              X