How do I fix this leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I fix this leak?

D44 pumkin is leaking at one of the weld spots that holds the long side tube in place. What is the best way to go about fixing this? Should I take it out of the EB to do it? Guidance Please... Thanks.

Doug

Please see most recent post...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 904Bronco; 04-08-2009, 10:37 AM.
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Looks a little wet around the whole tube...? Hose it down with some carb cleaner to clean it and dry it up. Make sure it is just that plug weld.
    If it's just the plug, I would weld it right where it sits if it were mine...

Comment

Originally posted by House View Post
      Looks a little wet around the whole tube...? Hose it down with some carb cleaner to clean it and dry it up. Make sure it is just that plug weld.
      If it's just the plug, I would weld it right where it sits if it were mine...
      It has been cleaned, and yes it does look like the tube is seeping/leaking too.

Comment

If you are a decent welder you can get it right there. If your a hack, its a lot harder to weld upside down, get a buddy.

Just grind out as much as you can, asn re welded.
        Sadly, its leaking because something moved. I would also weld all the way around the housing/tube as well to keep it from moving again.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

The best way to fix it is to swap in a D60!

As mentioned above, I would re-weld the rosette weld and weld all the way around the tube too. But to weld all the way around you will need to preheat the area first, then weld it and let it cool down very slowly. Otherwise the new weld will just crack. Now to do this operation (you gotta love the snowball effect) you will need to take everything apart because you will probably melt your inner axle seals.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
            The best way to fix it is to swap in a D60!

As mentioned above, I would re-weld the rosette weld and weld all the way around the tube too. But to weld all the way around you will need to preheat the area first, then weld it and let it cool down very slowly. Otherwise the new weld will just crack. Now to do this operation (you gotta love the snowball effect) you will need to take everything apart because you will probably melt your inner axle seals.
            So when I take it appart to change the gear set and put a limited slip in it, I will have some extra work to do...

Comment

RTV blue
              69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                So when I take it appart to change the gear set and put a limited slip in it, I will have some extra work to do...
                THAT will be the perfect time to do it! Nice timing on that one.

Comment

Doug, I'm in gthe same boat with the Teal bronco. I was thinking about having Brett weld the tube but I hate to tear it all down. I may just live with it for awhile.
                  Ken
                  69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

Clean it, slather it in Right Stuff, and do some tack welds on the tubes. It would last awhile before a full teardown. My .02
                    Rick-
                    68 Slightly modified
                    67 LUBR once again
                    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

JB Weld
                      1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

3 dollar drip pan...and even that is optional.
                        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Re: (Need to) How do I fix this leak?

So I am bumping this up...

I am at the point where the leak leaves a dime size puddle after every drive, so I need to fix it. Local Fab shop said bring me the housing and we will tig weld it up, hour or so labor. I will be going through the pumpkin with 4:11's gear change and possibly a locker ($$$)

Or do I buy the 76 D44 that Pops has 4-sale and build that one and do a switch out?

Will the repaired D44 be better than new after welding or is an undamaged one better? Certainly cost is a factor, and I do not like doing things twice...

Guru's please provide guidance
                          Last edited by 904Bronco; 04-08-2009, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Re: (Need to) How do I fix this leak?

Have it welded.
                            Its leaking because it once moved. If you are not wearing tires funny then it did not move far.
                            Really most axles should have the tubes welded, so even if you bought a new one, I would still suggest welding it.
                            Mark Harris
                            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Re: How do I fix this leak? UPDATE

All the rosette welds are cracked, the time and labor needed to make the repairs exceeds the cost of finding another housing... (One dremel bit and one Mill bit already broken) The PO must have wacked something good!

Two Fab shops here in town said no to welding the tubes to the housing, no previous success trying to fix others with the same problem...

Looking at my Options...

Doug
                              Last edited by 904Bronco; 04-21-2009, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X