more headlight problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more headlight problems...

my headlights flash on and off when my engine gets hot. they used to start flashing, like they were on the blinker, after about 30 minutes of night driving. i changed the headlight switch, the flashers, and everything seemed fine. but last time out, it started to get hot, doing burnouts on a dirt road, and the lights started flashing again. but as long as the engine stays cool, it seems fine. any suggestions?

thanks in advance,
    mike
    73 bronco

From what I remember, the headlight switch has a breaker in it and when it gets hot it breaks apart, and after cooling for a second it comes back together. It sounds like you have another bad headlight switch. There may be something else out there causing the failure though.
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I'm wondering if the heat and flashing lights are a coincidence. My bet is on the dimmer switch. The vibration of the donuts probably hand more to do with it. The few times that I've had headlight problems, its been a bad ground or dimmer switch.

Comment

Switching to a relay system should not only solve your flashing problem (unless you have faulty wiring elsewhere), but it will make your lights brighter also. Bypassing the factory switch for the headlight power does wonders. Wild Horses has a new setup that is a super easy install and not that expensive... I would really suggest it.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product...Wiring_Harness
        Last edited by House; 12-09-2007, 08:50 AM.

Comment

mine flash on high beam. I am pretty sure the headlight switch itself is the problem. I changed out the dimmer on the floor but it didn't solve it. Doing the headlight harnass is a great option that is worth the $$$$
          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Mine flashed on high beam also. The harness cured the problem and I got 2 more volts to my lights...

Comment

I was driving down the hill from Tahoe one night, and my lights started cutting out on me. The guy infront of me probibly thought I was flashing him. I pulled over a fiddled with the switch thinking it was a lose wire. I turned on the lights and they started cutting out about 5 min later. So I pulled the switch out from behind the dash and let it hang with working lights the rest of the way home. I think it was getting to hot behind the dash with the heater running. I replaced the switch with a new one when I got home and havent had problems sence.
              -Wes
              302, edelbrock heads, roller rockers, intake, sanderson shorty headers,

Comment

thanks for all the advice. i guess i'll have to try the wh kit. the wiring, although really old, seems fine and all the switches are new (dimmer, headlight, and flashers). looks like i'll have to add something to my christmas list.
                michael
                73 bronco

Comment

Originally posted by tim View Post
                  I'm wondering if the heat and flashing lights are a coincidence. My bet is on the dimmer switch. The vibration of the donuts probably hand more to do with it. The few times that I've had headlight problems, its been a bad ground or dimmer switch.

x2
                  I the same thing going on with mine replaced the light switch. About a month later same thing changed swithch and dimmer been fine for years.

Brian
                  Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                  After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

A quick Band-Aid fix for this is to pull the plug from one of the headlights. Yeah, you're running around with one black eye, but at least you'll still have some light.

It won't always work of course. Depends on just what's wrong or how bad your internal breaker is. But, it's an easy way to get out of the cold and back on the road quickly if your breaker is just starting to go bad and just can't handle the heat load of two lights.

Then you can fix it for real when you get back to civilization.

Paul
                    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDonk View Post
                      A quick Band-Aid fix for this is to pull the plug from one of the headlights. Yeah, you're running around with one black eye, but at least you'll still have some light.

It won't always work of course. Depends on just what's wrong or how bad your internal breaker is. But, it's an easy way to get out of the cold and back on the road quickly if your breaker is just starting to go bad and just can't handle the heat load of two lights.

Then you can fix it for real when you get back to civilization.

Paul
                      Welcome Paul, glad you decided to joint the local Bronco guys. I am also happy to report that your 73 (???) will be back on the road this year, after sooo many years of rest!
                      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Working...
                      X