Header options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header options

Stripped out the mounting bolts again and I am freakin tired of the constant leaking exhaust from these stock manifolds. Having said that...they are cheap on Ebay. Any input on good headers cheap. I know WH has good ones, but they are $400.00+. Let's hear what you guys think.

FYI...302...two inch body...435...5.5 lift standard d44

Another question...The stock manifolds meet the pipe via two stud bolts coming out of the manifolds. The pipes on mine are simply flared and a doughnut ring thing clamps between the pipe and manifold for sealing. This is where mine leaks all the time. I keep tightening them up and eventually crack the manifold or strip the bolts/nuts. Better ideas???
    Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Originally posted by NOTPRETTY
    Stripped out the mounting bolts again and I am freakin tired of the constant leaking exhaust from these stock manifolds. Having said that...they are cheap on Ebay. Any input on good headers cheap. I know WH has good ones, but they are $400.00+. Let's hear what you guys think.

FYI...302...two inch body...435...5.5 lift standard d44

Another question...The stock manifolds meet the pipe via two stud bolts coming out of the manifolds. The pipes on mine are simply flared and a doughnut ring thing clamps between the pipe and manifold for sealing. This is where mine leaks all the time. I keep tightening them up and eventually crack the manifold or strip the bolts/nuts. Better ideas???
    Does it look like your exhaust is coming it at an angle to the manifold? This should seal fine if the mounting surfaces are parallel. YOu shouldn't have to crank that hard. Use the standard fiber gasket and stay away from aluminum ones.

As far as headers...the Duff ones are OK, not the best. Stay clear from Dynomax. JBA shorties are sweet, but the JBG (L&L) are by far the best. I have a set (i don't think I tossed them yet) of stock manifolds you can have until you make your decision. One word of advise, the thrill of saving $$$ on a cheap set of headers will be forgotten when you are fighting the sealing and bolts all of the time...and you WILL be fighting this. Save your $$$ and get the L&l for long tubes, or JBA for shorties.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

How about a set of Mustang shortys? They aren't too expensive (I paid $50 for a set at the yard) and lots of people have had good luck with them. They won't work with your stock clutch linkage though. You would need to convert to a hydraulic clutch. (which is an easy mod by the way) Just an idea.

Comment

I got the WH JBA and have no problems with leaks or fittment. Like you said not the cheapest option though.

Comment

I used to run the wh longtube headers and those were real nice and beefy. They added alot of lowend over stock manifolds, enough that I could pull up steep hills in third strong rather reving out second(1st) on the 435. But if you have or go with fullwidth axles they collectors will interfere with the driveshaft.
          Now I run these..patriot clipster headers (type in PTE-H8430)These are pretty nice to for the money. With a 2.5" bl the pass. side just fits below the floorboard. Driverside goes right into the stock linkage so a hydro clutch conversion is required.
          Pics of them in the bronco
          Last edited by bent70; 11-14-2005, 07:11 PM.
          70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

Delta...The sealing rings I've been using are light blue. Is that a fiberglass type?

Truth be told half my problem is me. The first manifold simply cracked in half from father time. The second manifold...I cut-off, drilled and retapped the studs because they were toast. When I went to get a tap but no where in town was a course threaded tap with the correct diameter. Five different places I think...I got frustrated and I went with a fine threaded tap thinking it would hold. It didn't and I should have known better. JB weld even crossed my mind, but I have no idea how heat would affect it. So things not lining up correct is not really the issue. I understand what you mean, but they are close enough to not be an issue. The problem may be in the pipe and the lame flare job done by exhaust shop that put it in. Frankly though...I don't know what the original flares looked like so maybe its fine.

I was just hoping for a cheap way to get headers. I don't want to deal with long tubes (Full width may be in my future) and switching to hydro clutch seems like one more thing to go wrong and cost money. I suppose I'll try a stock manifold one more time but do it right this time. Thanks for the input.

If anyone has a picture of a ring...the correct ring...I'd like to see it. I just bought a gasket kit from Auto zone...Felpro I think.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

I think the blue ones are graphite composite and are fine. I have a set of long tubes that were on the shelf of my shop. They are used and are painted with non high temp paint and will need stripping. I think they are old Duffs. I will give them to you if you come and get them and use them...they are located in stockton.
              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Delta, I really appreciate the offer. I've decided I am going with the stock manifolds or go with the bling from WH. Either cheesy or right.

Marlon
                Last edited by Delta 4 Wheel; 11-15-2005, 09:06 AM.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Originally posted by NOTPRETTY
                  Delta, I really appreciate the offer. I've decided I am going with the stock manifolds or go with the bling from WH. Either cheesy or right.

Marlon
                  I edited your post by mistake. Just use to having the edit button next to quote...anyway, I think you are making the right decision to do it right if you are going to do it,...

Comment

Okay...going to buy the WH headers...1st of the month. BUT...for now I need a Stock driver's side manifold. Anyone got one?

I have a Thanksgiving Day trip that my club does every year and without something, it sounds like an automatic shotgun going off.

Help???

Carpe' Dium

Comment

I've got a set that you can have. As a matter of fact, I'll even deliver them to you tomorrow. How's that?

Comment

Sounds Great!! How about a six pac of your choice? Wait...your in Fresno...hmmm...how about...damn...Okay, I'll cover the shipping and set it up?

Marlon
                        Last edited by NOTPRETTY; 11-17-2005, 03:28 PM.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

No, I mean I will deliver them to you. Not ship them to you. I am driving to Reno tomorrow and will be coming right up I80 past you. I'll be on kind of a tight schedule though, so can you meet me somewhere just off the freeway?

Comment

Yep...I'm off 50, but I can swing over there. I need to go to the Roseville REI anyway. What time will you be driving through the area?

Hey before we get to far how are the studs on the end of the driver's side. Threads good?

Call me 916-717-4316 cell call anytime.

Marlon

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Working...
                            X