My official wiring "stupid questions" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My official wiring "stupid questions" thread

I am pretty clueless when it comes to electrical work so I will have a lot of stupid questions for you wiring experts in the near future. I am installing a Painless harness and an EFI harness at the same time. The EFI harness is a stock Mustang harness.

Stupid question #1
    Can someone tell me what wires from the Mustang harness need to be spliced into the Painless chassis harness?

Stupid question #2
    I bought a new starter solenoid and it has 3 posts on it. Two big + posts and one smaller post in the middle. According to the Painless instructions there should be 4 posts. Two big + posys and an "S" post and an "I" post. They say to connect some of the wires to the "S" post and some others to the "I" post. Did I get the wrong solenoid?
    Last edited by crawlin68; 11-28-2005, 07:30 AM.

get the 4 post one....

I have no idea on the efi...I used a custom harnass built for me...
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I hope you got the Bronco specific one? I got the universal kit and fawk, what a pain in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
        get the 4 post one....

I have no idea on the efi...I used a custom harnass built for me...

That's what I thought. Back to NAPA I go. I think I should have my own parking space by now.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomEB
          I hope you got the Bronco specific one? I got the universal kit and fawk, what a pain in the ass.

Yeah, I got the Bronco one. Their directions leave a lot to be desired though. Some wires in the harness are not even in the intructions!?

Comment

I highly suggest you have someone go through that harness for the efi and elimanate the useless wires. Or you can order a harness from ford motorsport that has only the wires you need. If you do that, the new harness will come with directions that are very clear on how to hook up the harness. As for the Painless kit, you will basically run the whole harness as if you did not have the efi, then there are only a couple of wires that the Motorsport directions will clearly explain for you. I did mine by myself and I have a copy of the directions here some where. Maybe if you have a fax I can try and send you a copy.....however I do not know if the color codes will be the same as the stock harness you are using....Let me know if you want to try...
            70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

the ford harnass will need keyed and switched power that hook up to the solenoid I think...that's what mine had.
              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

What year mustang harness do you have? The FMS harness is based on some year ('91?). I can send you a file with thoses directions. I also have a write up for an '88 harness which is what I'm using. I agree that you should take the harness apart. I made the 4 or 5 splices, got the thing running and then took it all apart to get rid of the extra wires. It still looks like crap becasue I had to rush it back together but I at least have a general clue of what all the wires do. I work real sloooow so it was a long process but really worth it. You just need to take a deep breath and dig in. There is only one wire to be careful with, it's for the distributor and it's wrapped in foil, don't mess with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
                  What year mustang harness do you have? The FMS harness is based on some year ('91?). I can send you a file with thoses directions. I also have a write up for an '88 harness which is what I'm using. I agree that you should take the harness apart. I made the 4 or 5 splices, got the thing running and then took it all apart to get rid of the extra wires. It still looks like crap becasue I had to rush it back together but I at least have a general clue of what all the wires do. I work real sloooow so it was a long process but really worth it. You just need to take a deep breath and dig in. There is only one wire to be careful with, it's for the distributor and it's wrapped in foil, don't mess with it.

Mine is an 88 as well. It came out of an 88 California MAF Mustang. If you have a diagram or can tell me which wires need what kind of power(I.E. crank only or crank and run) you would be my new best friend!

I have all of the tape and split loom off of the harness so tracing wires is a snap now.

Comment

No problem, whats your email? Since yours is a screwball '88 like mine I actually look forward to it. Mines not as tidy as I would like it so this might light a fire to clean it up and put nice labeling on everything. The setup has been trouble free going on 3 years now and things are starting to get fuzzy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
                      No problem, whats your email? Since yours is a screwball '88 like mine I actually look forward to it. Mines not as tidy as I would like it so this might light a fire to clean it up and put nice labeling on everything. The setup has been trouble free going on 3 years now and things are starting to get fuzzy.

You can e-mail it to pademing@comcast.net. Thanks!!

Comment

How many of you that run EFI are running an intertia switch? If you are, do you ever have a problem with it tripping off while wheeling? Pro's, Con's to running one?

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68
                          How many of you that run EFI are running an intertia switch? If you are, do you ever have a problem with it tripping off while wheeling? Pro's, Con's to running one?

I am running one, but then again Ryans harness would not let the engine start without it installed. I haven't had any problems with it tripping on the few runs I've been on. I believe someone asked this question over at CB and or Priate and plenty of guys running them with no problems with them tripping.

Comment

Working...
                          X