Strecthing the wheel wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strecthing the wheel wells

With my link and stretch comming along a bit further now Im looking for tips on how to stretch the tub.

Origionally I was going to cut the whole wheel well out and move it back 4 inches but now I thinking of sectioning the rear half and putting a filler piece of metal back in.

Does anyone know if gorilla wareflares will cover the whole gap?

Thanks in advance!

Sonic
    1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

4", I think from memory, Doubtful.

Comment

I just did this, and the warflares did a decent job. I have mine up to the seems. I recommend doing it the way that Galen and Tony did there's. Buy a replacement inner fender and cut it to match the area you need. One fender will do both sides. I used "filler" and it looks like crap. Works, but looks bad. All I have are crappy pics, but here you go.
      Attached Files
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Justin,

Here's a few pics of mine. I had already cut my rear fenders for a standard warflare install before I decided to do this. After the wheel well stretch, I pushed the warflares up to the body line and it looks like they'll cover nicely (not to mention, it reduces the amount of sheet metal between the rear axle and rear bumper). I think I pushed my rear axle back 5 1/2" or 6". The wells are now 7 1/2" longer than stock. This leaves just enough room for the "C" pillar of the cage and allows for the filler neck to be moved back to match the new location of the gas tank.

Galen
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 720Racer; 12-10-2007, 09:32 PM.
        Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
        I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Hey, I don't know if you are going w/ wider axles or not but here's something I wish I had done when I did mine. I wish I would have sucked them in closer to the body to give more cab room.

Jack
          www.ironbender.com

Comment

FamilyMan did that to his and was able to fit a 3 person (read kid) rear seat between the wells.

Comment

I am currently making then up.
              I cut the old in half and started doing them.
              Sadly, the driver side will have some fiberglass on it, because of my filler hose comes into the cab a little, and I can't get the straigt shot I'd want with steel, I will just lay glass over it.
              Mark Harris
              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Here is how I did mine a couple of years ago. Yes the WH Gorilla Warflares will stretch open far enough to cover the fender cut out.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                  I am currently making then up.
                  I cut the old in half and started doing them.
                  Sadly, the driver side will have some fiberglass on it, because of my filler hose comes into the cab a little, and I can't get the straigt shot I'd want with steel, I will just lay glass over it.
                  Can you bend up some 20 ga. sheet metal to cover it?

Comment

I was thinking of making a tunnel for it, but welding the full tunnel on with as many curves I have would of killed me.
                    It may turn out ok, I have to finish it up today.

If I did it again, I would of just ran the fill hose in the bed side and built a shield for it to keep it from looking so chewy for my dog.
                    That would of been the easiet, then I could of ran a normal wheel well. Oh well afterthoughs.........
                    Mark Harris
                    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

I think I will go Galen's route, looks like just what I wanted to do. Now to get the kids presents out of the back of the Bronco, c'mon Christmas...

Im not going full width for now so the wells will have to stay where they are for sidewall clearence but I can definatly see how that would be a good mod for wide axles.

Sonic
                      1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

I did mine like Galen. Bought a new one and cut it half. Ran the warflares up to the seam at the top. I'd post pic's but my computer is dead and I'm on my wifes work computer. The pic's are in my build thread. If you measure it right you can get an even space between the dimples on the top of the wheel well and make it look almost factory, well except for some of my booger welds.
                        Then run the gas fill out of site down the rear bed post.
                        Tony
                        Last edited by blwngsket; 12-11-2007, 10:43 AM.
                        1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

.....make it look almost factory, well except for some of my booger welds.....
                          Hey, it's almost like you were here looking at mine!!
                          Last edited by 720Racer; 12-11-2007, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 720Racer View Post
                            Hey, it's almost like you were here looking at mine!!
                            1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Here's the pic's. Ran the fill neck behind the tailight.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X