NP435 install issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NP435 install issues

I pulled my NP435 because it felt like the clutch was slipping and the thing was leaking like a sieve. I replaced the seals and installed a new clutch. The gears looked good.

Problem 1:
    I reinstalled everything that came out. Now I cant shift into 1st or 3rd because the shifter is blocked by the dash. It slightly hit the dash before I removed it but I was always able to get it into gear without issue. I lowered the crossmember about 1in with a jack and disconnected the driveshaft. I was able to shift it into all gears with the engine off and running. Why would the throw to 1st and 3rd be longer now? (I do not have a body lift)

Problem 2:
    With everything installed I tried driving down the street in 2nd. The clutch grabs, but as I increase the throttle it acts like it did before and seems to not be grabbing all the way. I have not adjusted the shift linkage yet as I am waiting for responses. The clutch does not grab In neutral

It's been a few years since I've had an NP435; as I recall they were picky about the position of the shifter when removing and re-installing it, like it had to be in neutral for both otherwise things would get difficult.
    The problems that you describe are not making much sense to me, though I do remember adjusting the clutch linkages being an exercise in patience and iteration. I remember tweaking with mine for quite a while before getting the pedal set to disengage the clutch without hearing nasty sounds from within the bellhousing.

Off topic, and not that it helps you now, but I will say that the hydraulic throwout bearing used with the ZF 5-speed is pretty simple, and foolproof to set up. I don't know if anybody has bothered to try to adapt it to the NP435... but it is the same flywheel and clutch.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Working...
    X