Readywelders - any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Readywelders - any tips?

Got one off Ebay, so far I like it. Tried it with CO2 as a shielding gas, worked pretty well with .035 wire and two batteries.

I am not much of a welder, so I can't offer many tips but would appreciate learning from them that does.

Actually, I can offer a tip. Marine terminals on your battery posts make it a lot easier to hook up. Also, a small $5 reg from Grainger will let you use your on-board CO2 tank as a gas source.
    Last edited by tortuga; 01-17-2008, 04:48 PM.

these are nice, the more batteries the better, at least 2. I used one to repair my radius arm, using 2 batteries, flux core wire and had the welds break before I got out. Breat and repair at gate keeper, break about 100 yards out. I will be getting one down the road but will have gas shield and better battery power..
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

The YJ my GF sold had a preimer power welder on it, and I read that you can use that for a power source for the ready welder. The nice thing about the ready welder (besides being wire feed) it that you can bring it when you're wheeling and leave it at home when you're in town. I'd like to get one some day.
      Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
      I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Its fun huh! I have had mine since about 2000.
        I use flux core wire in, because the Flux wire is more tolerent towards dirty metals (like you see on trail repairs)
        I use the marine terminals as well, and just leave the Ready Welder plug in part connected to the batteies, but leave the jumper wire in the box.
        Also, go get some welding cables and more of the Plugs, and make an extension cord.
        I carry another 20 feet with me to get to places, so I don't have to remove my batteries.

Carry extra tips and another spool of wire with you. The RW eats tips because its always on and you (Well I do :goof forget and ground it out.

As your seeing, you adjust "heat" with wire speed, learn to move VERY fast so you don't burn through.

Do you have a home Mig? The RW can be setup as a spool gun so you can play with the RW easily, and as a spool gun, you can add argon and weld Alum.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Oh, the most important thing, and yes, I will come off as a jerk.
          Hide it and your welding helmet.
          At Pismo, My RW was stolen.
          On the trail, I don't advertise I have one, and my friends don't tell people either. I spent one weekend on the trail doing nothing but weldings, it did ruin my my trip.
          To me its an moral call. If you see one is hosed with no other option, I will help. If its something small, I will keep on with my trip.
          All Friends and friends of friends get welding time, as long as I am not kept thirsty
          Mark Harris
          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
          X