Wich dana 60 rear is best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wich dana 60 rear is best?

I am almost ready to upgrade the rear axle on my Bronco, i have the small bearing 9 inch with a spool and drum brakes.
    Whatever dana 60 i get i will be narrowing to stock width, i already did this to a high pionon 44 for the front, so i want it to match width. Wich truck would be best to get the axle out of? i have no clue of what year and model to get.

I do have to say the 9 inch has been a great axle, even though its the small bearing, i have run the rubicon and fordyce creek trail countless times with out a problem, i just want the disk brakes and yes il will admit it..." the cool factor of haveing a 60" hehe.
    Last edited by Chips67; 01-25-2008, 01:34 PM. Reason: typo
    EFI 5.0, NP 435, 5.5 WH lift, Duff Arms, HP 44 front, 37" MTR's

I agree having a D60 may be cool. BUT a lot of people are going back to the 9" (better ground clearance, Lighter and just as strong) My next axles will be 31/35 spline 9" axles front and rear..

If you do go for the D60 rear do not pay over 200 for it they are everywhere for cheap.

Is your current 9" 28 or 31 spline????

Aaron
    Last edited by Daddy4zack; 01-25-2008, 02:28 PM.
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

A couple of buddies and I were going the rounds on this topic a while back. I found the following page that contains some basic differences between a bunch of different axles:
      http://extremegearoffroad.com/axles.htm

The D60 has a bigger ring gear, larger axle shafts, and a stronger housing. The 9" was only ever found under 1/2 ton pickups and cars, where the 60 is in some heavier trucks.

Just a little food for thought... not to hijack this too much. I am sure there is more tech info out there to fuel this debate.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

I'm currently swapping in a 1979 F250 D60, and I wish I'd started with a 14 bolt. I know the ground clearance is a little worse than a D60, but the spindles are already the right size for 35 spline axles (1.58" instead of the stock 1.28" $200 worth of maching work to change), and it uses a bolt in pinion support (like a 9 inch), which is much eaiser to tie into an anti-wrap or a truss for a 4 link. I don't know which axle would be the right width to match your front, but don't leave out narrowing it. If you add a locker, you'll probably be upgrading to 35 spline, so you'll be ordering aftermarket shafts anyhow. I was originally going to narrow my 60, but the guys here talked me out of it. It won't be long before you'll be selling that eb width HP D44, and buying a full width front to match the rear. I'm not going to be that much wider than stock (83" front, I think), since my wheels don't have much backspacing.

I agree with Aaron, don't spend over $200 for a rear axle.

Galen
        Last edited by 720Racer; 01-25-2008, 02:50 PM.
        Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
        I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

My axles are 31 spline Dutchman axles from wild horses, with the conversion bearing for the small bearing housing, so i guess if i did build a big bearing 9 i could use these axles with the bigger bearing on them. i am basically trying to get the most strength and disk brakes without breaking the bank.

Comment

More axle for thought if you are after a Dana 60 mite as well go to a Dana 70 Same axle housing as a 60. A 70 already has 35 spline axles in it. But you would mostl likely need new axles if you cut it down. The 60 does has a bigger aftermarket than a 70. I know you can get a detroit for a 70 but no ARBS or spools at this time (I think)

Just my .02
            Brian
            Last edited by Bronco Brian; 01-25-2008, 03:01 PM.
            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chips67 View Post
              My axles are 31 spline Dutchman axles from wild horses, with the conversion bearing for the small bearing housing, so i guess if i did build a big bearing 9 i could use these axles with the bigger bearing on them. i am basically trying to get the most strength and disk brakes without breaking the bank.
              35 Spline pinon 35 Spline axles in a 3.250 Nodular center

center $ 329.00 JEGS
              9" GEARS $ 300.00
              35 SPLINE AXLES ABOUT $100.00 TO $150 more than 31
              New HD housing $399.99 W/H
              What its worth I would go with a HI 9 but spendy
              Brian
              After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

D70U. they are 35 spline and a nice smooth bottom that slides over rocks. You can get just about any locker for it too. I have a D70HD in my EB and I put an ARB locker in it about 4 years ago. Also has disk brakes and 35 spline. When you go tho the wrecking yards see if you can locate 2. Pull out the long side shaft and replace with another short side 35 spline shaft. I narrowed a D60 once using two equal length short side shafts and it ended up being about 59 WMS.
                69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

Hmmm, now my brain is exploding with options lol, what years and model trucks are best for the Dana 60's and 70's, oh one more thing, my 44 front is 5 lug atm, is it possible to change it to 8 lug to match whatever 1 ton rear i get?

Comment

Or get an 8 lug 44 if your going full width!! I happen to have a full matched set for sale.. 44 front/60 rear complete drum to drum full width out of late 60's early 70's F250...$400 for both!!! POPS
                    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
                      Or get an 8 lug 44 if your going full width!! I happen to have a full matched set for sale.. 44 front/60 rear complete drum to drum full width out of late 60's early 70's F250...$400 for both!!! POPS

Dam POPS and I am comming down tomorrow but the wife would KMA

Comment

Originally posted by brocbronc View Post
                        D70U. they are 35 spline and a nice smooth bottom that slides over rocks. You can get just about any locker for it too. I have a D70HD in my EB and I put an ARB locker in it about 4 years ago. Also has disk brakes and 35 spline. When you go tho the wrecking yards see if you can locate 2. Pull out the long side shaft and replace with another short side 35 spline shaft. I narrowed a D60 once using two equal length short side shafts and it ended up being about 59 WMS.
                        Ditto...

Dana 70U is the ticket. I have a 14 bolt and before it I considered a dana 60. I even had a 1979 F250 rear 60...but sold it. Most Dana 60 spindles will not accept 35 spline shafts...yes there are rare D60HD that do. The non-hd's...You can ream the spindles to fit the 35 spline shaft safely...that's all the factory did they use the same wheel bearings. Or you can cut off the spindles and weld on 14 bolt spindles which are cheap from a yard or you can buy replacement weld on spindles from Solidaxle.com But the best option is to go with the Dana 70U. It has everything you want in the end and some even cut the bottom off for better clearance.
                        Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Working...
                        X