TB repair....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TB repair....

So I FINALLY got to go out into the garage and tinker around and get nothing done, but I did get a chance to look at the EFI parts I've been accumulating. I got a 65mm TB (Ford part) used and was checking it out, and to my amazement, the asshat I got it from cut one of the "ears" on the throttle mechanism and then did a back-woods tack job on it. I've got the throttle cable set-up from BCB and it won't mount correctly with jist one ear and ball.

SOOOOO should I bother trying to fix it/can it be fixed with new parts?

(anyone know where I can get the parts?)

otherwise I'll be getting a new 65 or 70mm from blue oval.
    '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Check Ebay for a stock Mustang 5.0 (60mm) throttle body. Don't pay more than maybe 15 bucks delivered. Use an angle grinder or die grinder to barely kiss the peened-over butterfly shaft that retains the bellcranks on both throttle bodies. Toss the hacked-up one and move the good one from the donor t/b to your 66mm t/b. Carefully drill/tap into the end of the butterfly shaft for a 10-24 screw. Scrounge a screw and a washer, use a little Loctite and reassemble. Whole thing should take 20 minutes. Ask me how I know...
    1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
    I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Tb

I got a stock mustang one I will throw it in so you can look at it on Sat when I come by

Brian
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Damn Sean the road you are on to get your Bronco on the road sure isn't straight...
        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Crap!!!!

So I got a replacement bell for my tb, everything was going well, following Lars' instructions. I was backing my 10-24 tap out, and wouldn't you figure, SNAP! Friggin' tap broke off in the rod!!!! Anyone have any tricks on removing a small tap?

I'm on the verge of buying a new one from Blue Oval, and calling it an EXPENSIVE learning experience. aNYONE HAVE RECCOMMENDATIONS ON A 65MM OR 70MM. tHE ONE THAT'S fubar is a 65. (I'm running AFR heads)
          '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Originally posted by FFMDX View Post
            So I got a replacement bell for my tb, everything was going well, following Lars' instructions. I was backing my 10-24 tap out, and wouldn't you figure, SNAP! Friggin' tap broke off in the rod!!!! Anyone have any tricks on removing a small tap?

I'm on the verge of buying a new one from Blue Oval, and calling it an EXPENSIVE learning experience. aNYONE HAVE RECCOMMENDATIONS ON A 65MM OR 70MM. tHE ONE THAT'S fubar is a 65. (I'm running AFR heads)
            Let me guess... snapped off flush?

Comment

Originally posted by Lars View Post
              Let me guess... snapped off flush?
              Of course!!!!

Comment

2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

...and calling it an EXPENSIVE learning experience...
                  Is there any other kind of learning experience?

Don't feel too bad, I let a drill get a little out of control earlier this week and did a small amount of damage to my brand new radiator. It looks like I simply bent a few fins out of place and so far I have not seen any evidence of any holes but it'll be my luck there's a little pinhole rendering the thing useless...

Tomorrow I may pull it out and run some water through it to see if there's a leak.
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

From what I have read, the larger you go on the TB, the more touchy the throttle becomes at low end.

I would hold off on buying a new one, and get one off of Corral or Ebay. Or hell, go to one of these Ford recycle web sites and buy a used one there. I got my hydro boost from one of them and it showed up needing a little cleaning, but in good shape for the $$
                    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Sorry

Sean sorry for all your TB troubles I was hopeing the one I got your would end your bad luck. Thanks for meeting william and I on 580 and bringing me the knuckles.

Thanks
                      Brian
                      After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
                        From what I have read, the larger you go on the TB, the more touchy the throttle becomes at low end.

I would hold off on buying a new one, and get one off of Corral or Ebay. Or hell, go to one of these Ford recycle web sites and buy a used one there. I got my hydro boost from one of them and it showed up needing a little cleaning, but in good shape for the $$
                        A good point... stay with 65mm. Either that or buy a Tweecer so you can tune away the lean tip-in issues you'll face.

Look for an Explorer throttle body on Ebay- they are 65mm and a near bolt-on. They are a little different than a Mustang throttle body, but not much. You'll get the opportunity to make that bellcrank mod again, since the Explorer bellcrank won't work with a Mustang or BCB cable They don't have a crankcase vent tube in them, but you can bore that, pull a vent pipe off one of the other t/bs in your collection and install that, or just put the vent in the tube between throttle body and mass air meter (where it is stock on an Explorer). The Explorer throttle position sensor will work fine with the Mustang electronics. Apart from that they are identical to a Ford Racing 65mm t/b.

A long-winded way of saying that an Explorer t/b is a cheap way to get a 65mm t/b, which is as big as you'd want to go.

Comment

Re: TB repair....

will any 5.0 throttle body work for the swap to the explorer tb Lars?

What about the BC cable wont work on the explorer tb set up? Are the ball studs different?

Comment

Re: TB repair....

So I FINALLY got to go out into the garage and tinker around and get nothing done, but I did get a chance to look at the EFI parts I've been accumulating. I got a 65mm TB (Ford part) used and was checking it out, and to my amazement, the asshat I got it from cut one of the "ears" on the throttle mechanism and then did a back-woods tack job on it. I've got the throttle cable set-up from BCB and it won't mount correctly with jist one ear and ball.

SOOOOO should I bother trying to fix it/can it be fixed with new parts?

(anyone know where I can get the parts?)

otherwise I'll be getting a new 65 or 70mm from blue oval.
                            Read this post and said to myself I sold you one Thinking man he pissed at me Then I looked at the date

Comment

Working...
                            X