What NV4500 to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What NV4500 to get?

So I was doing some reading on the www.nv4500.com website and now I am even more confused. What application (year, make and model) of truck do I want to be looking for to pluck a NV4500 out of for our application?

From what I've read, you need to get one out of a late 80's, early 90's Chevy 3/4 ton or 1 ton 4x4. I think you'll need to swap out the input shaft so you can use a NV4500 to SBF conversion kit. The chevy first gear is 6.32. I think the output of the dodge/gm 4x4 trans are the same, so the adapter to your t-case would be the same.
    Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
    I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

AA and wild horses uses the dodge Gas engine NV4500, Check out their sites. First gear is 5.62
      69 bronco 302 670 holley TA NV4500/Atlas 3.8 29 spl. in 32 out 4.5 bc lift 3" body D44 Locked - 9" Currie/strange with daytona PS and 1350 yoke. Warn full floater Locked 35" MTR's beadlocked 4 wheel disc most parts are still on shelf, But 1 day

Comment

Unless you have to have the early style GM extra low first gear, the most common solution is what 69 broncosport wrote. I'd be looking for a late 90's version to get the 29 spline output. It's slightly stronger than the older 21 spline, but more importantly the late transmissions have an improved 5th gear. On the older versions if the transmissions were worked hard, the nut retaining 5th gear could work loose. Not usually a problem with gas engines, but something to be aware of. Diesel transmissions had a larger diameter input (IIRC, 1.25" instead of 1.125"). I seem to remember that you can get a clutch disc that will fit and still work with your Bronco 11" clutch, but don't quote me on that- it's been a few years. Otherwise you have to change inputs. Oh yeah: the later transmissions tend to be quieter. The early ones (mine is a '95) can sound pretty gravelly, especially stopped in neutral when they are warmed up.

If you have to have the GM low gear, I remember reading that it can be done, but my recollection is that the early GM bellhousing pattern (it changed) was different, and within a year GM had switched to the higher first. So you need to get the early GM gearset and swap it into a Dodge style case. At one time there was a company building them... bring your wallet though.

I have a bunch of information that I saved from when I did my swap several years ago, including (I think) a fat book from Advance Adapters with a bunch of facts and figures. If you want, I can dig the stuff out and confirm the pablum I just spewed above
        1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
        I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

$$$

Oh yeah, one more thing: I found mine on Ebay. It was listed between Christmas and New Year three years ago. Mistake on the seller's part- no one was looking, let alone bidding. I got it for 500 bucks delivered

Just had to share...
          1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
          I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Ok so curious minds need to know... Do I see an NV4500/203/205 setup in the works for your beast? If not, then what setup do you have in mind? I SOOOOO want to do an NV4500/Atlas setup in my rig but in the interest of getting it on the road/trail sooner, I have opted to keep my (free) NP435 for the time being, putting the cash into other stuff I still need.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Pat,

Everyone is correct here, the one I picked up is the 98 Dodge NV4500 that had the gas motor. I was atleast lucky enough to get it from a guy that already had it behind his 5.0 in an F250. You will be needing an adaptor for your bell housing from the Nv4500, also WH has the whole conversion kit for your transmission mount, brackets, new clutch (since you cant use the old one).

How sad is this? I have everything for my swap of D60's, NV4500, Lift kit all sitting in the garage ready to go in but the bronco is my DD for right now so that could cause a little problem. HAHA. Oh well time to get one.

Kyle

Comment

Thanks for all of the info guys. So it looks like I am looking for a 96 to 99 gas Dodge truck. I assume a 3/4 ton or 1 ton and can be 2 or 4 wheel drive?

I am going to convert to a NV4500, but this one that I am looking for is for ROKSLYD. We will be putting it in his crawler.

Comment

Working...
                X