9" disc brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9" disc brake upgrade

I'm looking for a full disc brake kit for my 9". I am torn between the West Coast Broncos kit, WH kit or the Jeff's bronco kit. Does any one have any experience with any of those kits or any suggestions for a better kit. I'm not planning use the cable e-brake so that doesn't matter.
    Chris
    70 EB, Frame up project, NP 435/203/205, FW hp d44, fw 9", EFI 302, Crab cage, Hanson front and rear

Screw them kits... save yer cash.

Find a shop locally that runs roundy round track car stuff. Them cars usually have 9" stuff in their rears and most of them will have fabricated discs back there as well.

Heres what I used brackets from said shop or search online for a racing site like AFCO racing, they will have disc brake brackets that you can weld onto your diff. Then for rotors I used front Discs from a 77-79 F150, there will be a gap between the axle snout and the inside of the Rotor where the hub usually comes thru. I had a bushing machined up and tackwelded in place to the axle snout, next time around when i do the full width and order new race axles I will have the snout made to the rotor Inside diameter. Mid 80s Chevy cars like the impala can donate the caliper.

Very straightforward to do, just have to make sure the caliper mount is welded on straight in conjunction.

Best bet is to find such shop locally and pretty much tell them what I just told you, either they will have exactly the parts in stock or know where to point you if not tell you exactly what part numbers you need. I would link you to my local shop but they are no longer in business.

Comment

it kit will have its issues... (things that need to be modified)..

I ran the wildwood set up for awhile without an E-brake and learned to hate it. Plus it was difficult to get brake parts.

I changed over to the Explorer set up. Things I had to change. I redrilled the backing plates, redrilled the rotor wheel stud pattern. I then changed the axles. If you buy the kit from wild horse it will come already set up to be a simple bolt up kit. All the brake parts are oem and the rotors can be purchased from tera flex already drilled for the bronco.

The GM caliper set up is ok if you don't want an E brake.
      You will have to have your axles machined for the rotors.
      The caliper brackets should be the bolt on types not the weld on type.
      some of the kits may require shock mounts to be changed.

Thats what i know
      70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

I have the setup that Phantom described and it works great. A good source for the brackets is Tony at RockEquipment.com

Comment

Working...
        X