Are all 9 inch housings the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are all 9 inch housings the same?

I know some are small bearing and some are large bearing, but other than that are they all the same? Trucks, cars, vans, EB width, full width...all the same basic housing??

Ford 9" in General -- No there are many differences. There are two possibly threee different housings. Third members can very based on application. Later models will have taper roller bearings.

For Broncos they use the small housing 28 spline axles and come with either large bearing or small bearing based on year and spec. WH catelog had a good description on them.
    70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

The 3rd member, axle shafts, axle tubes don't matter to me. I'm thinking of just the center section of the housing? Are there some that are heavy duty? I think there are some (like the EB 9 inch) that are the "banjo" type where the axle tubes narrow down faster. But I'm not sure??

Comment

76, 77, 78 and 79 bronco have the larger non-banjo type housings. These are indeed heavy duty and gradually taper down to the center section unlike the earlier EB banjo. I have not installed one because they limit ground clearance and I have yet to bend mine. The heavy duty housings can also be found on old vans and such. Most of the banjos are on cars and smaller rigs from what I have seen...

The taper roller bearing housings have the same ends as the roller bearing housings. Instead of the bearing sliding is as a whole like on the roller axle, on the taper axles the race is installed facing out giving a home plate for the taper roller bearings already on the axle. The housings are interchangable.

69broncosport has one still I think...
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Can someone tell me what the outside diameter of the axle tube is on a 9 inch?

Comment

here is link to help you out on 9" stuff I can't give you a tube size. What are you trying to figure out?
            www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
            70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68
              Can someone tell me what the outside diameter of the axle tube is on a 9 inch?
              Pretty sure it's a 3" tube. What rear end do you have again?
              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
                Pretty sure it's a 3" tube. What rear end do you have again?

I have a D60 rear in my EB. I am doing this research for another project.

Comment

Another project? Do tell do tell...I won't tell your wife...

Comment

Another project? Do tell do tell...I won't tell your wife...

LOL. Well.....if you promiss not to tell my wife. I don't know if I'm going to do it for sure or not, but I'm leaning towards building a 609!

Comment

That is, if I can find a cheap 9 inch housing.

Comment

You know, I have no idea what a 609 is. I even did some goooooogling. Please advise...

Comment

Hybrid 609 front end! You take the center section of 9 inch rear and insert the axle tubes from a front D60. Then you use everything from the inner C's out from the D60. You end up with a light weight very stout front axle that has a lot ground clearance. For the 3rd member I am thinking of the Hi9, but holy sh*t batman they are $$$.

Here are a couple of pics. Aint that a thing of beauty!
                          Attached Files

Comment

OK. I know what you mean but didn't put the 60-9 together. Are you going to cut up the 60 you bought or get some other parts for the build?

Also, keep in mind that the HP9" uses a 8.8 rear and runs it in reverse. This would result in the weak link of your stout front end...how weak, I do not know. I am pretty sure Currie does not recommend tires over 35" for the HP9. You would have to call CE.

Comment

OK. I know what you mean but didn't put the 60-9 together. Are you going to cut up the 60 you bought or get some other parts for the build?

Also, keep in mind that the HP9" uses a 8.8 rear and runs it in reverse. This would result in the weak link of your stout front end...how weak, I do not know. I am pretty sure Currie does not recommend tires over 35" for the HP9. You would have to call CE.

No, no, no, not talking about the POS 8.8 Currie. I'm looking at the True Hi9. It is a true Hi Pinion 9 inch third. CLICK HERE for more info. There are quite a few Comp rigs running these with zero reported breakage.

I was thinking of extracting the axle tubes from my D60 to put into this.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X