What front Locker to Buy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What front Locker to Buy??

I am looking to upgrade my gears to 4.56's. So I need to upgrade my front carrier. Do I go with a Detroit to match the back? I feel the ARB is too much $$.. Anyone have a carrier they need to get rid of?
    Thanks
    Aaron
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

what gears do you have now?

I run an electric lock and love it. Its a tru trac when disengaged and a locker engaged. I have had no problems in the 3 years running it.

If you run a locker in the front be prepared for modifying your steering. I had to go with ram assist for the rocks
    70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

Right now I have the 3.50's.. I would rather not get into the Ram assist...
      KK6DAD
      70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

its real hard to turn the front wheels with a locker engaged on rocks
        70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

you can buy a new carrier for your 4.56 gears for about $50. You can use your old spiders. You could also get thick gearsets and not need a new carrier. Also, an Aussie locker is less than $250 and seems like a good traction aid option for the money. Plan on spending about $270 just on gears and install kits per diff.then add installation $175-300 per diff. I bought an ARB for my Toyota diff and for the price I wish I would have just bought 2 Aussie lockers and installed them myself. I would have saved about $400 and had two locked diffs. My bronco has ARBs front and rear. I am carrying 2 air sources just in case.
          69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

Aaron, if you are looking to lock your front end, do yourself a favor and wait to do it right. You will never be happy with anything but a selectble locker.

Here is my humble opinion on a few:

1. ARB. Tried and true quality. Long term support group. Tougher install. Compressor or CO2 needed.

2. OX. Super beefy quality. Long term quality unknown at this point, but obviously aircraft quality on the unit. Iffy at best on the customer service long term. Easier install, tougher to dial in. Easy to operate, but not as easy as the ARB.

3. Detroit ElecTrac. Nice unit. Detroit quality on locker itself. Posi-Locked option instead of open-locked like hte OX and ARB. The weak point is the solinoid on the front of the differential cover. It is common to have it snapped off buy a dead stick or other material hitting it. It needs better guarding. This unit is tempermental at times for some owners. I had a 2 customers break one on the con and fordyce. They both returned the units to 4WP and bought an ARB. This unit has also had issues with not locking in.

4. Detroit locker. Good detroit quality. Hard to turn when in 4wd. Very reliable and locked when you need it. Weak point: if you blow a hub, ujoint, or an axle it can, and is quite common, to send a jolt of energy back into the detroit blowing the insides up. I have not had it happen on the front, but when I had hubs in the back I blew up 2 when the hubs blew. An annoying issue with the Detroits: they have 1/4 driveline turn of back lash. This is real crappy and creats a lag when starting a climb. It was really crappy for me when I had a spool in the rear and a detroit in the front. The rear would be positive and the front would be a few seconds behind...especially with low gears. I sold the front detroit when I did the HP and went with the OX. Not enough information yet on the OX.

5. Detroit Trutrac: You lift a tire, you lose traction. This is a POS, INHO.

6. Power Loc. Nice posi unit that can be set up really tight. Hard to find and expensive.

More later if I think of it...
            “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I run a detroit soft locker in front. As said, it is very hard to turn in the rocks when you need to turn it the most. I would wait like Carl said and get an ARB. It would be worth the money. If you need to get one now go with one of the cheaper models. I run a Lockright in the rear and haven't had any problems with it. Cost me about $200 or so.
              1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Like Delta said, save your $ for a selectable (ARB). I through in a lunch box locker two years ago, and now have the $ for an ARB. I will be doing the ARB soon if you want the locker while you save up
                68 Slightly modified
                67 LUBR once again
                61 Willy Wagon

Comment

I would agree with the above statements. Save your $$ and do it right the first time. I think you would regret it later down the road if you went with something cheaper now. There is nothing better than having the ability to turn your locker on and off with the flip of a switch when you need to. My 02.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68
                    I would agree with the above statements. Save your $$ and do it right the first time. I think you would regret it later down the road if you went with something cheaper now. There is nothing better than having the ability to turn your locker on and off with the flip of a switch when you need to. My 02.

Damn Damn... I know this the way to go.. Looks like I will have to save some moneys up and do the Gears at same time.. Damn, Powertank,gears,ARB, OUCH!! I'll start skipping lunch.. Just dont take my beer..

Thanks everyone...
                    Aaron
                    KK6DAD
                    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

I know you have heard it before but ARB, ARB, ARB for the front. It eliminates the immediate need for ram assist . Its easy to use and tough. heck I wanted my ride to drive well on the steet so I put them in both ends and can't be happier. Wait, save your cash you will be happy you did. FM
                      72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                      1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Thanks guys.. Maybe If i'm good Santa will bring me one.

Aaron
                        KK6DAD
                        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Santa? Thats 11 months away!
                          I was thinking maybe the Easter Bunny would bring it.

Comment

I have to echo the opinions of everyone else.
                            A selectable front locker is the best way to go.
                            I have an ARB in front and it allows me to use it when I need it.Then once I'm up the obstacle or need to make a tight turn on the rocks I can turn it off.

Comment

Originally posted by ACE
                              Santa? Thats 11 months away!
                              I was thinking maybe the Easter Bunny would bring it.
                              Maybe you should ask Cupid, he'll be around before the Bunny.

Galen
                              Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                              I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X