Dana 44 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 question

I have been giving a lot of thought to the idea of swapping over to a High Pinion D44 from my current low-pinion axle to help with driveline angles up front and to raise the pinion a little higher up and out of harm's way.

My current low-pinion axle is set up very nicely. It's got an ARB, Superior axles, CTM joints, and Chevy disks and 4.11 gears (yeah I know, I could probably use a lower gear set).

My question is this - if I was to find a HP D44 housing with nothing in it, have it narrowed to EB width, and have the c-wedges moved to the same location as the EB axle, how much of the "stuff" could I move over? By stuff, I mean brakes, ARB, axles and joints. I'm just trying to figure out how feasible this kind of swap over is and what parts are not compatible between the two. As it already looks like I'm going to miss this summer wheeling season anyway, I've got more time to get stuff dialed.

Just looking for some opinions and some facts....
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Originally posted by TN1776 View Post
    I have been giving a lot of thought to the idea of swapping over to a High Pinion D44 from my current low-pinion axle to help with driveline angles up front and to raise the pinion a little higher up and out of harm's way.

My current low-pinion axle is set up very nicely. It's got an ARB, Superior axles, CTM joints, and Chevy disks and 4.11 gears (yeah I know, I could probably use a lower gear set).

My question is this - if I was to find a HP D44 housing with nothing in it, have it narrowed to EB width, and have the c-wedges moved to the same location as the EB axle, how much of the "stuff" could I move over? By stuff, I mean brakes, ARB, axles and joints. I'm just trying to figure out how feasible this kind of swap over is and what parts are not compatible between the two. As it already looks like I'm going to miss this summer wheeling season anyway, I've got more time to get stuff dialed.

Just looking for some opinions and some facts....
    Every thing will swap over except the standard cut gears and you will probably need some new seals, maybe some bearings on the carrier. Since you want a gear change anyway it really won't cost you anymore than a housing , gears, and any narrowing and setup time. I say go for it, if you are considering full width you could probably replace your long side inner for about the same cost as narrowing the housing, unless you do it yourself.
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Hmm... Full width opens another can of worms but maybe now's the time for that too... We'll see. I see bare HP-D44 housings for sale fairly often. This does not seem like a very difficult or expensive swap, narrowed or full-width.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Or you could sell all the stuff and nab a 60.....................
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post

I knew that was coming... Trust me that thought has crossed my mind too. Time will tell...
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Well I run a full width 60 and as long as you get good BS on your rims you cant even tell. I run 5" BS on my rims and the tires just stick out past the flares. But it also depends on your plans with the truck, it is not a cheap swap, but looks like you could sell what you have and break even on a 60.
            WT 4x4
            91' One Ton Bronco
            1971 Bronco
            9/11/01 Never Forget

Comment

Originally posted by TN1776 View Post
              I have been giving a lot of thought to the idea of swapping...

...Just looking for some opinions and some facts....

If my making you an offer for your existing front end helps push you over the edge, consider it done. What you're running now sounds exactly like what I'm thinking of building.

Comment

X2

Comment

You guys are bad influences...
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

Fun huh!
                    Mark Harris

Comment

run what ya got and have fun!!! save up and buy a set of rockwells...
                      72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                      BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                      RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Fun huh!
                        Oh yeah... like a barrel of monkeys.

So here's a quesion... Who recently has built a D60 front end set up similarly to my D44, and how much did you spend doing it?

I'd like a selectable locker (ARB or similar), good quality axle shafts, bearings, gears, disk brakes, etc. Better yet does anybody have a line on something like this, used?
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

I spent 1200 on a clean 78 HP D60 w/ 4.10s ready to run.......then....
                          700 ARB
                          100 used 4.88
                          100 gear install kit
                          200 set up gears
                          950 shafts and joints 35 spline

about $3500 total just on the axle

there are lots of misc costs, ie 9/16 studs, lugs, Yoke, 35 spline hubs, etc

I sold my fresh built 77 HP D44 w/ 4.88,ARB,Warns and CTMs for $1800.

so it was at least double.

note: I wish I didnt just remind myself about what I spent on this axle.....
                          69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

tony if you are worried about the driveline check this out.

This is my neighbor. He is running WH 5.5 w/ Ext rad arms and 35's. He bought a new drive shaft from WH and it does fine.

Maybe wait to do the axle swap in a few years. or next winter. Spending 200-300 dollars on a drive shaft now might be better then spending $3000+ on new axles the you might want to be full width or 3/4 (eb) width and you built them to the complete opposite. might as well save big projects for winter time, because you ARE driving your Bronco to the NCB Rubicon Run...Ill even give you one of my beers that you owe me.
                            {o===o}
                            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                            Originally posted by CityHick
                            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

My 60 was built 4 years ago?
                              it was 300$ (ha!)
                              I think the ARB was 500
                              gears +install kit 300
                              wheel bearings 100$
                              new rotors and gm calipers (I am 5 lug) 100$
                              Drive flanges 200$
                              I put 35 spline spicer stubs on it, those are 60$ each.
                              I ran those for 2-3 years, no issues, stock inners.
                              I then blew 2 passenger inners, almost right in a row.
                              I put a Alloy USA passenger side (inner and outter) in.
                              Still have the stock spicer driver side in it, but I carry the spare.
                              I have taking good parts out, I would rather brake it.
                              Mark Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X