Another radius arm build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another radius arm build

Well here is another way to skin (the proverbial) cat!

I have a friend with stock radius arms that is having his 40th birthday so I thought I would make hima set of extended arms so the front of his rig will move. LOL

The tubing is 2" receiver stock and I am using Ballistic square tube adapters and 3" Ballistic joints. I will follow up with the completed pics in a day or so.

FM <><
    Attached Files
    72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
    1 Cor 16:13-14

Right on Chuck! Lookin good so far. Do you have Ballistic joints yet? I wanna see those babies.

Comment

Yea, just got the joints. I should have gotten the 2.63 ones because these make the tubing look small. I will post up pics soon.

FM <><

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.

Comment

Here are some pics

FM <><
        Attached Files

Comment

NICE WORK!!! Just exactly how long is the receiver hitch tube is it in its entirity??? I see me trying that!

LES

Comment

Those look awesome! Man I wish those were available when I ordered mine for my 4 link.

Comment

PhantomEB the 2" receiver stock is 36.5" long with the bung and the joint the arms are 40" long to the center of the joint and are obviously adjustable up to 2 ". I was considering making them shorter - I remember Lars statng something about the arms only needing to be 6" longer then stock but I wasn't sure so I kept them close to the leangth of the WH arms.

FM <><

Comment

FAMILYMAN how much cash will you have wraped into those arms including the joints and frame mounts, are you going to build the frame mounts too. you do great work

Comment

Nice looking welds Chuck. Those joints are huge. Did you put any caster adjustment into the arms?
                  Marc D.
                  If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
                    Nice looking welds Chuck. Those joints are huge. Did you put any caster adjustment into the arms?
                    I agree.. I have been thinking that as well... Those welds are nice!!!! Good job chuck.. nice work!!!

Aaron
                    KK6DAD
                    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Like always, excellant work Chuck.
                      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

FAMILYMAN how much cash will you have wraped into those arms including the joints and frame mounts, are you going to build the frame mounts too.
                        Blue Collar supply for 2 pieces of 2" receiver stock 5' each - $90 + tax
                        Grade 8 hardware for everything $15

AAA Fab - shock tabs $3

Ballistic Fab - 3" joints, with 1.25" studs + zinc plated (2), 1.5" square tube adapters (2), 1.25" jam nut (2), Heavy duty frame link mounts plus shipping
                        = $229.78

So just shy of $350 total. I would build them again instead of buying arms because looking at how WH arms are built, I think these are much more stout. I also think the flex joint is far superior to the bushing style that stock arms use. The one thing these don't have is the bend inward to allow full lock to lock steering without hitting the arms. I didn't want to compromise the strength of the arms by cutting them to make that same angle. However if you have full width it won't matter since the tires are so much further out.

Did you put any caster adjustment into the arms?
                        No, I chose not too since I was able to keep more of the stock arm intact to weld into the new tubing. My other thought is since they are much longer they will decrease caster since they will have less angle down then stock. My guess, but it seems right. I would guess since they are 11" longer then stock that they have 1-2 degrees less caster . If there are any real engineers out there I am sure they can tell for sure. Lars??
                        If you wanted be able to adjust the caster a bit you would just have to cut the arm about 2 " shorter then I did.

Comment

familyman thanks for the feedback i think those are the best home built arms i have seen. what welder are you using(im in the market for a new one) thanks again

Comment

Excellent work Chuck!
                            68 Slightly modified
                            67 LUBR once again
                            61 Willy Wagon

Comment

the only thing you may want to consider is putting the shock mounts on the side of the arms. I had binding on the shock with the mounts on the very top of the arm during full stuff. I have added mounts to the side of my arms and it frees up the shock.

Aaron
                              KK6DAD
                              70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Working...
                              X