Wiring gizmos courtesy of Pick n' Pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring gizmos courtesy of Pick n' Pull

Founds some cool stuff today for my project. I had been working on a panel that contained a fuse block, some breakers, relays and junction points but then one day at work I popped the hood on one of our service vans and the light bulb came on. A good detroit fuse block/ relay center could get a lot more stuff in a much denser package than anything I could build.

The pic shows some gear from GM products, with the fuse block coming from a 1999 Astro. It houses some serious relays as well as fuses from 5 to 50 amps, all in a very compact package. The wiring harness is pretty long if you take the time to strip it out. All I have to do now is tone or test out the various leads and this thing is going on the fenderwell right behind dual optimas that are separated by a continuous duty relay. There will be one red top hooked up to the starter relay, with a blue top behind the continuous duty relay that is picked when the ignition is on. The fuse block will be powered off the blue top aux batt.

When the engine is running, both batterys are in parallel. When it is off, the aux batt powers all.

The connectors are serious weatherproof and run from 18 to about 12 gauge.

OK maybe too many while working tonight but thought it was worth sharing
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tortuga; 06-27-2008, 09:22 PM.

You are basically going to end up with a painless kit (with a little more pain). Painless uses a GM style fuse block and some GM connectors.

Do yourself a favor - invest in a weatherpack connector kit. They are very nice connectors that are easy to assemble.

I have used a ton of them in my rig, IMHO they are the only way to go.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by TN1776 View Post
      You are basically going to end up with a painless kit (with a little more pain). Painless uses a GM style fuse block and some GM connectors.

Do yourself a favor - invest in a weatherpack connector kit. They are very nice connectors that are easy to assemble.

X2 on the weather pack! Thats all I used on my sandrail. I get mine from http://www.delcity.net/ the parts are relativly cheap but the crimping tool is kind of pricey. You can crimp with a cheaper tool but you dont get the same results.
      1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

I purchased the cheap weatherpack crimper from Summit and I have no complaints. A buddy has the expensive version and it makes it a little easier, but I get the same type of crimp, it just takes a little more manual intervention.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by TN1776 View Post

X3 on the Weatherpacks, use the inexpensive crimper and run some solder on the crimp for added protection... er ah conductivity
          2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
          1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
          2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Working...
          X