Ball joint snap rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball joint snap rings

I had the ball joints replaced by a shop when I had my front axle apart. The shop put the joints in the knuckles and I installed the knuckles. A fellow Norcal Bronco member pointed out that I did not have snap rings on my upper joints. I was over at Sean's (FFMDX) house today and was peeking under his rig and saw he did not have the upper snap rings either. Are there supposed to be snap rings on the upper ball joints or do some shops just leave them off? Do I need them?
    77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

All the ball joints are grooved for the snap rings, but depending on the knuckle casting is wether they are used or not.. some may fit,some may not.. mine did when I did mine. not absolutly nessesary. Pops
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

It depends on the casting of the balljoint. Yours looked long enough to fit that snap ring, so I would put it on. The reason you want it, is if you snap an axle shaft, a broken axle can push the press fit out of the upper ball joint, popping from the kunckle.
      On some of the joints that could not fit the snap ring, we used to tack weld them in.
      Mark Harris
      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
      X