Rust alert - tough to check, but worst I have found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust alert - tough to check, but worst I have found

So I am stripping the Bronco for paint, and decided to go ahead and do the cowl. Pulled off the air intake for the heater - you have to remove most of the right front fender bolts to do it, and the screws holding it in area bitch.

Guessing most of you haven't done this, I sure as hell wouldn't have before now. Found a TON of mud, screws, washers, zip ties and assorted crap underneath. The main crossmember under the cowl - the beam the steering bolts up to - was seriously rusted underneath, the sealant had cracked away from the welds.

Just thought I would pass this on - I thought I was fairly rust-free until I saw this mess. Pictures can follow if my description is not clear.

Maybe this will cheer you up a little. This is what mine looked like after I striped all of the roofing tar and window screen off that the PO used to hold it together.
    Attached Files

Comment

Would it be wrong if that did cheer me up, at your expense?

Not saying it did, of course....

Comment

I was lucky enough to find mine in time. Big mistake made is sealing the area in a futile attempt to keep the water out. Water will get in, allow it to drain. Mine was leaking in the seam where the hood bolts on. I half ass welded it, seam sealed it, and painted the inside best I could.
        Let it drain.
        Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Sorry about your 'find' and chit Pat, it's been years but I dont remember yours being so bad either
          Rick-
          68 Slightly modified
          67 LUBR once again
          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by tortuga View Post
            Would it be wrong if that did cheer me up, at your expense?

Not saying it did, of course....
            Nope! Wouldn't be wrong at all. Glad I could help. LOL!

Comment

Working...
            X